Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT3 - Injection test failed with RT73

Default BT3 - Injection test failed with RT73

Hallo,
    i'm using a MSI US54SEII USB Stick (RT73) and Backtrack3 (LiveCD). When trying to perform an injection test it fails.

BT3 loads 'RT73' driver correctly (lsmod).

Thats what i do:
    airmon-ng start rausb 6 monitor (i need to invoke this twice to achieve 'MONITOR MODE' in iwconfig)
    aireplay-ng --test rausb0

Trying broadcast probe requests...
    No Answer...
    Found 1 AP

Trying directed probe requests
    BSSID - channel: 6 - ESSID
    0/30: 0%
    Invoking 'airodump-ng rausb0' shows my AP with PWR=103/WPA-TKIP-PSK. No MAC Filter is activated. Injection doesn't seem to work.

Anyone know what's wrong? The RT73 chipset should be quite reliable i think. Is it possible there are differences between manufacturers? The BT2 hardware compatibility list says this one may not work (MSI USB) but some ppl on irc say it should work. I'm confused.

Problem solved.
    This particular adapter needs some private driver flags.

iwpriv rausb0 forceprism 1

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

this activate only prism header, this has noting to do with injection capabilities ,

the private flag for injection is
    rfmontx 1 and it's activated by default

forceprism will be useful only for pwr reporting......
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

You're right. The stick just has too low sending power.

Just burned his ISO

the injection test also fails for my RT73-based Sweex LW053 (USB) I had lying around:

04:48:11 Trying broadcast probe requests...
    04:48:13 No answer...
    04:48:13 Found 0 APs

There are a lot of people out there with RT73 based WLAN cards, has anyone of you had succes performing injection with this chipset?

The driver is kinda weird on BT3 final. I need to turn it off and on several times or change some settings until it works. I use 'Airodump-ng rausb0' to test if its working. It doesn't find anything if not working. Once its working injection mode should work as well.

The former BT3 beta didn't show that problem on my hardware. The stick always worked immediately there. Its just a minor problem nevertheless once you know. I think there is a wiki entry for RT73 confirming some problems with that chipsets.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Maniaxx View Post
    I use 'Airodump-ng rausb0' to test if its working. It doesn't find anything if not working. Once its working injection mode should work as well.
    Mine DOES find accesspoints (with dump). However, injection seems to fail. I'm going to try again when i'm back home running in TUI mode. Running with KDE on 300MHz craptop with worn out LCD is not going smoothly, to say the least.

An unsuccessful test is not a proof of non-working injection. A successful test however is a proof indeed (for positive injection).
    You may have insufficient Tx power. Try with a local AP first to make sure.
    The Airodump test is for testing general functionality. If it doesn't work at all i have to replug the stick.

Just burned his ISO

Default BT3 - Injection test failed with RT73

I seem to be having the same issue. I currently have the identical USB adaptor running within VMWARE. Once I confirm that the adaptor is Powered On within VMWare I can run:

airmon-ng start rausb0
    airodump-ng rausb0

And it proceeds to capture data, however I have yet to successfully inject with this device.

aireplay-ng --9 rausb0

Finds APs, waiting for a broadcast, tries to inject yet fails.
    The strange thing is, I believe BT3 beta and BT2 never had this issue.

If there a driver I need to download and apply ? Any of your suggestions are welcomed.

Just burned his ISO

I recommend getting the latest drivers for the rt73 chipset! They've really worked wonders for my device! The packet injection worked previously, but not well! The driver sucked and would mess up and stop sending packets and kind of just hang... Now with version 3.0.1, I no longer have that problem and injection works brilliantly!

How are you running BT3? from CD-ROM, from USB? either way Its pretty easy to make an ISO, or USB device with the new driver!

follow my thread here:
    h t t p : / / forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=17135

at first you should just build and install the new driver and test it out! see how it works! I think it can help you! The stock driver on the BT3 cd doesn't work well for me! So I had to personalize it by using the new driver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast