Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netgear Router + NO Data Packets

Just burned his ISO

Default Netgear Router + NO Data Packets

Hi all,
    I have been using BT for a while now and have had great success cracking WEP at home and showing friends how to use it in the past. I have cracked WEP on DLink routers, FON routers, Linksys etc.

I was showing a friend the other day, and for some strange reason it just didn't work. I think it might be his router. I don't know his specific model right now but it is a Netgear router. Are there any known issues with this type of router.

Just to iterate on the steps I am taking:

I am using an RT73 chipset based DLink USB adapter with id rausb0.
    I run airodump-ng to lock onto the channel and dump the cap file
    I run aireplay fakeauth attack to associate.
    I run aireplay deauth
    I run aireplay fragment attack

There is just NO data packets. Granted we are running this tests with NO clients on the network. but I never had issues doing it this way when I was using my DLink or Linksys routers.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
    -yeagy

have you checked out the aircrack-ng forums/wiki?

hxxp://aircrack-ng.org

Just burned his ISO

Default Same here

I have this same issue. I have cracked loads of other test rigs but i cant seem to get the Netgear to produce any data packets. I get the authentication successful messages but no ARP's and no Data. I right next to the router aswell so its not a distance/power thing as with some others i had in the past.

Its kinda strange but i just put it down to the fact that it probably just does not work on this particular router.

We cant have everything i suppose!

You are not following the Correct command sequence for Clientless Chopchop attack.you are fake-authenticating yourself and then sending de-auth to yourself(Connecting & Disconnecting??)
    the proper method to do is

airodump-ng -c <channel> -w <filename> --bssid <bssid> wifi0
    aireplay-ng -1 0 -e <essid> -a <bssid> -h <fakemac> wifi0
    aireplay-ng -4 -h <fakemac> -b <bssid> wifi0
    copy output .xor filename
    packetforge-ng -0 -a <bssid> -h <fakemac> -k 255.255.255.255 -l 255.255.255.255 -y <xor file> -w arp-request
    aireplay-ng -2 -r arp-request wifi0
    aircrack-ng -n 64/128 -z -f 1 -e <essid> -b <bssid> <filename*.cap>

I have had problems with newer firmwares. They may have included some type of AP isolation such as Linksys. Sit and wait and eventually they send ARPs out. The other option, with I use sometimes but to limited sucess is to use a PDA or similar with wifi to try and connect with a maded up key and see if it sends any out.

Quote Originally Posted by marked View Post
    I have had problems with newer firmwares. They may have included some type of AP isolation such as Linksys. Sit and wait and eventually they send ARPs out. The other option, with I use sometimes but to limited sucess is to use a PDA or similar with wifi to try and connect with a maded up key and see if it sends any out.
    Trying to connect with the incorrect key will not result in any ARP packets being sent. Neither will any be transmitted unless there really is a client connected to the AP.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Sorry, should worded it better. More than anything, using a PSP, PDA or other to connect even with the wrong key to see if you can get anything transmitted.

I should have thought that one through. I had no success with that trick last time I tried with my Netgear. My BTHomeHub however sent out ARPs even with a wrong key or even without any clients attached.

My BTHomeHub however sent out ARPs even with a wrong key or even without any clients attached.
    Seems like an rather odd behaviour since the Address Resolution Protocol is used to map IP addresses to physical machine addresses. If there are no clients currently active on the AP and no traffic, then why would these packets be needed and who would be the source/destination?

If I start an ARP replay attack with aireplay-ng -3 with out fake auth it gets ARPs and replays them without clients attached although I get de-auth packages. If I fake auth then run replay its alot quicker than aireplay-ng -4 and then packetforge.

When I get a chance I will run Wireshark and see where the ARPs are sent to.

Its the version 1.0 HomeHub. These router are fundimentally flawed and BT have roughly 2.5 million home users with these things. Scary.
    They have recently brought out a version 2.0 which is a N class. They only cost £90, good price. I would like to play around with 11n but not with the HomeHub unless I want to save the trouble and paint my key on the outside of the house in 6ft letters.

Its the version 1.0 HomeHub. These router are fundimentally flawed and BT have roughly 2.5 million home users with these things. Scary.
    You are right, I have read about numerous flaws with the router, affecting both the firmware and the actual hardware of the HomeHub. However, what is really scary is the amount of people still relying on WEP encryption, or none at all, to protect their privacy and data.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast