Thread: Need Help Understanding my Wireless connection

By the way, hello to all. Glad I found this place

So I basically downloaded BT3 onto a usb stick and run it off of that. I find the tools very interesting and have been looking for tools like these to learn security etc.

I was able to connect to my wireless router but when I try to get online it doesnt connect even though it says I have a connection. Then it'll connect/disconnect on its own. I used the wireless assistant to setup my wifi.

I do have:
    Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)

which from what I've been reading has injection issues? Now thats a little too far ahead for me at the moment, but just want a good wireless connection going. Is it possible with this built in card? Thanks in advance.

Quick Update:

Seems to have fixed itself and I can now surf.

Can someone explain what might have happened so I can avoid this on next reboot?

Also, am I limited to tools with this built in wifi card?

I have the same adapter, is it working properly?

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

say hello pliz , when you post first time !
    no this adapter don't work well because brcm is shit , and its linux support is sketchy as best

yes you are really limited with this adapter, you should change it , .....if you can..... hope for you , that it's not an hp unit ....
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    say hello pliz , when you post first time !
    no this adapter don't work well because brcm is shit , and its linux support is sketchy as best

yes you are really limited with this adapter, you should change it , .....if you can..... hope for you , that it's not an hp unit ....
    Hello, welcome to the forum

My laptop is a compaq/hp c700 with a broadcom mini pci express adapter

I found the usb edimax 7318USG to buy here, is it working better than broadcom?

Default re wireless card problems

Hi guys don't know where you are as you have strange comments where your location should be but if you are uk based wireless adaptors be it pcmcia/usb etc are really really cheap to buy nowadays so i wouldn't get to hung up if yous isn't supported there are linksys ones avaiable pcmcia for about £10 also there is an Edimax EW-7318USG usb one with high gain aerial (4db) for £17.61 inc vat - both at morgan computers below is a link for supported cards or a quick google will reveal if it is. mini pci are a bit harder to get and more expensive unless you know a freind in the it buisness - the intel ipw2200 is quite common and supported. just thought i'd let you know how cheap suported ones can be before hair is pulled out

hxxpp://backtrack.offensive-security.com/index.php?title=HCL:Wireless
    (replace xx with tt, can't post urls)

Broadcom is becoming more compatible, according to aircrack website

Broadcom's “AirForce One” line of chipsets is recently catching up with Atheros in terms of Linux support. The new b43/b43legacy driver in 2.6.24 and 2.6.25 , when patched, can inject at speeds pretty much on par with Atheros. It also handles all attacks nicely, including fragmentation (although the underlying stack, mac80211, requires a patch to inject fragments). (This was not the case with the previous driver, however.) Current development versions of the driver can actually reach speeds higher than those possible with Atheros, often up to 700 PPS and over. Multi-VAP operation/concurrent monitor and managed interfaces, similar to the one seen in Madwifi, is also implemented through the underlying mac80211 stack.

Source: aircrack.ng