Thread: First Caller-ID spoofers charged {US}

Default First Caller-ID spoofers charged {US}

I know this maybe of interest to any old time Phreaks on here....

The first telemarketers charged with transmitting false Caller IDs (a process known as caller ID spoofing) to consumers were fined and barred from continuing their schemes by a New Jersey District Court judge.

Under the terms of a court order announced by the Federal Trade Commission today, two individuals and one corporate defendant have been barred from violating the agencys Telemarketing Sales Rule (TSR) and its Do Not Call (DNC) requirements arising from a telemarketing scheme designed to sell mortgage loans, refinancing services, and other products to U.S. consumers. They were also found liable for $530,000 in damages.

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/27534

This could start a very bad precedent which could be used against a lot of legal uses of spoofing caller-id.

Quote Originally Posted by BOFH139 View Post
    I know this maybe of interest to any old time Phreaks on here....

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/27534

This could start a very bad precedent which could be used against a lot of legal uses of spoofing caller-id.
    I'm curious as to why you think that this is a bad precedent. As I see it, it's a good application of the law. The defendants were attempting to hide their telephones' ID to circumvent the "Do Not Call" list. We joined the "Do Not Call" list when it was first implemented, and it cut down on a majority of telemarketing calls. In the last year or so however, there has been a marked increase in telemarketing calls which are either spoofed numbers or no number at all.

<rant>
    Frankly, the DNC list is only a halfway measure, and should be expanded. The number of exemptions is ridiculous . We joined it for a reason, and don't want any telemarketing calls, be they commercial, non-profit, charitable, or political. The political calls piss me off the most. The bastards who wrote the law specifically exempted themselves and their political cronies from the reach of the FTC. </rant>
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Ok, I'll bite, (and you know I have respect for you, since you're a fellow BOFH), but what is a Legal use of callerID Spoofing?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Ok, I'll bite, (and you know I have respect for you, since you're a fellow BOFH), but what is a Legal use of callerID Spoofing?
    I was going to ask the same thing.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I'm curious as to why you think that this is a bad precedent. As I see it, it's a good application of the law.
    Me too and frankly I say good riddance to the tele-marketers. It's nice to see the law works and works in favor of the average American.
    <rant>
    Frankly, the DNC list is only a halfway measure, and should be expanded. The number of exemptions is ridiculous . We joined it for a reason, and don't want any telemarketing calls, be they commercial, non-profit, charitable, or political. The political calls piss me off the most. The bastards who wrote the law specifically exempted themselves and their political cronies from the reach of the FTC. </rant>
    I agree 100% with you on this one.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

maybe im blind , but like others here , i really don't see any legal use of this.

could you explain us ? im really curious of that ....
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Ok,
    I agree the book should be thrown at my telemarketer that violate the Do Not Call list and Ill freely admit I only read the main article and not the full references since Ive been upto my tits in work due to a major migration going on.
    But my fear is that like a lot of laws it will be used by large companies for scopes it was never intended for like the way the DMCA has been wrongly used over the last few years .
    On to the legal uses of Caller ID Spoofing, also all PBXs that use DDIs will implement Caller ID Spoofing.
    I know a few legal uses for Caller ID Spoofing:
    -> Most PBXs that us DDIs and multi PRIs use it on all external calls.
    -> We have a VPN connection into are mobile provider via a aerial on the office roof that all calls to mobile are rerouted though so we get free/cheap calls but the number that is show on the receivers phone is a number from the US.

-> When I call anybody from my Office phone {VoIP}, Mobile, Softphone {VoIP} I can get the call it show it coming from any of our offices in the world.
    -> Are helpdesk that is located it 5 different counters around the world {to covering all time zones} uses a spoofing ID so all calls look like they are coming from a certain number even though that are a owned and run by a external company.
    -> Need more coffee to type some more..

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Ok,
    I agree the book should be thrown at my telemarketer that violate the Do Not Call list and Ill freely admit I only read the main article and not the full references since Ive been upto my tits in work due to a major migration going on.
    But my fear is that like a lot of laws it will be used by large companies for scopes it was never intended for like the way the DMCA has been wrongly used over the last few years .
    On to the legal uses of Caller ID Spoofing, also all PBXs that use DDIs will implement Caller ID Spoofing.
    -> We have a VPN connection into are mobile provider via a aerial on the office roof that all calls to mobile are rerouted though so we get free/cheap calls but the number that is show on the receivers phone is a number from the US.

-> When I call anybody from my Office phone {VoIP}, Mobile, Softphone {VoIP} I can get the call it show it coming from any of our offices in the world.
    -> Are helpdesk that is located it 5 different counters around the world {to covering all time zones} uses a spoofing ID so all calls look like they are coming from a certain number even though that are a owned and run by a external company.
    I don't think your examples there are the kinds of 'spoofing' that was discussed in the article. The kinds you described are generally setup by the Telco's exactly for the reasons you described.

The article is talking about people 'spoofing' in an effort to conceal their identity for 'nefarious' or dishonest reasons.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Ok,

Is there any specific reason that your spoofing your ID? It sounds a lot like its unnecessary and your just doing it because you can.