Thread: Installing Modules on BT2 Live CD

Just burned his ISO

Default Installing Modules on BT2 Live CD

I am having trouble installing modules within the bt2final.iso. I am using the BackTrack 2 Live CD, so I am trying to make the necessary amendments in Windows (XP). There is but one module I'm trying to install, it is "nvidia.lzm" as offered for download on the BackTrack wiki.

First, I open up bt2final.iso in PowerISO, an iso management utility. Then, I extract the 2 folders "boot" and "BT" onto my desktop. Next, I copy and paste "nvidia.lzm" into the "modules" directory under "BT". After that, I select both folders and tell PowerISO to turn them into an iso. After the iso is rebuilt, I simply burn it to a disk at the lowest possible speed and then attempt to boot from it, but it never will boot. It will think for a couple seconds, and then proceed to boot to windows.

Using md5sum I have checked the iso and the footprints indeed match, so my original download is apparently not corrupted. Am I going about installing the module incorrectly? I read the entire page on the wiki under the "How To" section that detailed a "simple way to install modules", but it appeared that it was being done in linux. Due to my unfamiliarity with linux, I would very much like to do this in Windows, if at all possible. What am I doing wrong?

Did you make the ISO you created bootable? I havent used PowerISO before but im sure its in the options somewhere.
    “Remember, Friends Don’t Let Friends Choose Signatures.”

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

just openit with winrar, open the modules dir browsing the iso content with winrar and click add files.....save and burn .......
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by shamanvirtuel View Post
    just openit with winrar, open the modules dir browsing the iso content with winrar and click add files.....save and burn .......
    I think if you use that method with BT2 you will get a checksum error and the disc will refuse to boot, well that is what I have seen people report.
    But then I have never tried it that way on BT2

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by balding_parrot View Post
    I think if you use that method with BT2 you will get a checksum error and the disc will refuse to boot, well that is what I have seen people report.
    But then I have never tried it that way on BT2
    Yes EXACTLY. That is what happens no matter what I do... it gives me some error that has something to do with a library file (didn't write it down) and it scrolls constantly down the screen and will not boot. I have tried everything suggested here to no avail.

How exactly can I add the nvidia.lzm module to my bt2final.iso and burn it so that it will actually boot?

Edit: If it is easier to simply produce a bootable usb stick then fine, I'm trying to do that at the moment. However, I need to note that after following balding's parrots' tutorial (not saying there is anything wrong with it), I cannot get it to work properly. I noticed that tut was written last year, is there a better or easier way to create a backtrack 2 usb stick than having to do it yourself with qtparted? What about the installer that comes on the live cd? I think I read that it was broken somewhere but not sure...