Thread: Duplicated Desktops with compiz, rc.local file won't run, shutdown options gone

Just burned his ISO

Default Duplicated Desktops with compiz, rc.local file won't run, shutdown options gone

Hey all,

I've been using BT3 since the release and i have almost no complains at all, it works great, except for a few annoying things:
    1. When i use Compiz everything works good apart from the fact that my desktops are being duplicated by 4, ie. when i have chosen 2 desktops - it shows 8. When i'm checking KDesktop it shows only 2 desktops but in the taskbar it shows 8.

2. If i choose the Compiz-Fusion (NVIDIA) option, everything works fine but when i want to log off X window, on the shutdown menu i have only "End current session" option, and even though it is set on Session Manager to place "Restart computer" as default option. But if i choose the first option on the BT3 boot loader, just BT3+KDE then i have all the 3 options of logoff, restart and shutdown. any idea what's the cause?

3. In order to have windows titlebars in X windows i have to run a command:
    nvidia-xconfig -d 24
    so i've edited /etc/rc.d/rc.local and added this line but it won't do it, and so whenever i log into X after boot i have to run this command and then restart X. - it sucks.

4. Last thing that annoys me is that i have such a badass computer and i'm using a Sandisk Cruzer 8GB flash disk but still, BT3 looks better and boots better on laptops
    I have an Intel core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz E6550 with 4 gb XEON ram and GeForce 8800GTX.

I'll be grateful if you'll provide me some answers,

Edit: I have persistent changes.

Thanks in advance!

camelel

For X windows stuff, put a script in ~/.kde/Autostart instead of rc.local. rc.local runs before KDE starts so your command will have no effect. Things not related to X windows can go in to rc.local or rc.inet1 or rc.inet2 etc....

Just burned his ISO

Well, i was looking yesterday in ~/kde/Autostart and i've seen there a file with a light blue colour, is that hyper link?
    shall i just add this command to some file and then ln -s file? or... just chmod +x it?

Edit: I've created a file called startnvidia.sh:
    #!/bin/bash
    exec /usr/bin/X11/nvidia-xconfig -d 24
    then i did ln -s startnvidia.sh ~/.kde/Autostart/

but when i log into X using the startx command it still doesn't work and i have to type it manually.
    Help is appriciated!

After you put the startnvidia.sh in the ~/.kde/Autostart directory, just make sure that it's executable, via chmod +x startnvidia.sh. Any scripts in the Autostart directory should run when KDE starts up. No need for the link, symbolic or otherwise.

This thread contains the exact questions that I need answers too aswell

But I can't get the titlebars solution working.. I have created startnvidia.sh in my .kde/Autostart directory and made it executable with chmod +x
    the contents of my nvidia startup script is:

#!/bin/bash
    exec /usr/bin/X11/nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals
    exec /usr/bin/X11/nvidia-xconfig -d 24

but i still have to re-enter these commands and restart X when it has loaded for the first time.

EDIT: another strange thing I just discovered after adding the nvidia script to my autostart folder is that when I run the nvidia commands and restart X, every program EXCEPT firefox get their titlebars back... this was not the case before I created that script, will remove it, try again and post my results in a little while...

Just burned his ISO

hey again,
    I've noticed that when i'm ending kde's session just before i get the login request i see that the script has been executed - when i ended the session rather than started it.

Just burned his ISO

camelel, cormega did you ever get this to work as I'm having the same problems?

cheers
    ade

nope, for the moment i run the nvidia-xconf commands before i run startx but it sure would be nice to have them run automatically...

EDIT:

actually I just solved it..

i created a small script to run the nvidia commands and added a line in rc.local to run the script ... I don't know why I did not try this before... just figured that I would have the same problem as camelel i guess...

Just burned his ISO

Good to hear you got it working cormega, I'm still having problems I created a script and edited the rc.local to run it but it still didn't work. However, I did notice that if I edit my syslinux.cfg by removing cubez from the autoexec=xconf;cubez;startx I get the nice nvidia screen but compiz doesn't work. I do get the icon in the bottom right corner but thats about it.

are you using the nvidia.lzm driver or have you downloaded the one from NVIDIA.com ?

I never got the lzm module to work properly so I just downloaded this one:

h**p://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/169.07/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.07-pkg1.run