Thread: Program for finding out IP and netmask when no dhcp is in use ?

Default Program for finding out IP and netmask when no dhcp is in use ?

My printer has a wifi card on it. I hooked up to this internel wifi net ( ad-hoc ) but then I did not know what IP and netmask too use in order too communicate with it. I had too manualy check this before it worked. Is there a program for finding out IP and netmask when no dhcp is in use ?

Default Re: Program for finding out IP and netmask when no dhcp is in use ?

If no DHCP is in use the only methods for configuration of an IP v4 address that I am aware of are APIPA (Automatic IP Addressing), which assigns an address in the 169.254.x.y/16 range, or static address assignment, which will set the IP address either to a pre-configured setting for that particular device or to some address that you manually configure.

If the device is configured to use a particular static address it should be listed in the documentation for that device. If you set the address yourself, then obviously you will already know it. And if the address is set by APIPA it will be in the aforementioned range of 169.254.x.y/16 (the /16 refers to a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 in case you are not familiar with CIDR notation).

To find the exact address you would need to scan the known address range to find the particular assigned address. You could use nmap, unicornscan, etc...
    Last edited by lupin; 01-16-2010 at 05:25 AM.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Default Re: Program for finding out IP and netmask when no dhcp is in use ?

How is this related to backtrack ? Post closed.