Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resolution Issue

Just burned his ISO

Default Resolution Issue

Hello; I cannot get my resolution above 640x480 even after running "xconf". In fact, the resolution seems higher before I run "startx" as opposed to after.

I have an Nvidia GeForce 6800
    256 mb

It is capable of displaying 1920x1200.

What do I need to do? I am currently in the process of going through many of the "newbie" threads that have been stickied, but if I could get an answer to this specific problem (as it is my only one), I would be saved a lot of time.

Look on the wiki for the nvidia module, follow the instructions and the problem will be solved.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lukeman3000 View Post
    Hello; I cannot get my resolution above 640x480 even after running "xconf". In fact, the resolution seems higher before I run "startx" as opposed to after.

I have an Nvidia GeForce 6800
    256 mb

It is capable of displaying 1920x1200.

What do I need to do? I am currently in the process of going through many of the "newbie" threads that have been stickied, but if I could get an answer to this specific problem (as it is my only one), I would be saved a lot of time.

You may need the nvidia drivers located here on the wiki.
    http://backtrack.offensive-security.....php/Main_Page
    It is located at the bottom of the section entitled "A few updates about the upcoming release:" As I do not have an nvidia card I am not 100% sure about this though but keep looking here on the forums the info is here.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

I have an nvidia card in one of my laptops and that module solves the problems completely.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Looks like we posted at about the same time. So to the OP follow Balding_Parrot's advice and you should be fine.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Or you could follow archangel.amael's advice and you will be fine too.

Or you could do what I do and remove the nvidia kernel extensions. I gave up on older nvidia linux drivers, and just use vesa.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

BTW, I am Booting from the BackTrack 2 Live CD, so can I still use/install this (or these) module(s)?

If so, does anyone care to link to some documentation on how to do so? In the meantime, I will be searching, but as a newcomer to linux in general it is hard to know exactly what to search for at times. In all honestly, I'm not concerned with doing much else more in BackTrack (Slax/Linux/whatever) right now except getting my display to work properly so I can use the the Aircrack suite included on the disk. (And use them with a decent resolution).

Thanks

Developer

If you know what your monitor can do, for example 1024x768@75Hz, you can use this page to generate a custom Modeline for you xorg.conf:

http://www.bohne-lang.de/spec/linux/modeline/

Watch that the hsync is in range with the HorizSync on the same section (in this example the range is 31-101 and this modelines hsync is 60.15, so we're safe). Also the VertRefresh and the refresh rate you selected (75Hz in this example) should match - in this example VertRefresh is 60-160 and modeline is 75Hz, so that's all good.

Now you can select the default resolution and colordepth by tweaking the Screen section. It should look something like this:
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier    "Default Screen"
        Device        "NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
        Monitor        "CM752ET"
        DefaultDepth    16
        SubSection "Display"
            Depth        16
            Modes      "1024x768_75.00"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Change the DefaultDepth to what you would want it to be, 16 (65536 colors) or 24 (16M colors). Change the Modes line to match the resolutions you want to use - Depth must match DefaultDepth (here it's 16).Save the config. If you're in X, hit CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart X . Change between virtual consoles with CTRL + F1 F2 F3 and so on - your X should be on F7.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    If you know what your monitor can do, for example 1024x768@75Hz, you can use this page to generate a custom Modeline for you xorg.conf:

Watch that the hsync is in range with the HorizSync on the same section (in this example the range is 31-101 and this modelines hsync is 60.15, so we're safe). Also the VertRefresh and the refresh rate you selected (75Hz in this example) should match - in this example VertRefresh is 60-160 and modeline is 75Hz, so that's all good.

Now you can select the default resolution and colordepth by tweaking the Screen section. It should look something like this:
    Code:
    Section "Screen"
        Identifier    "Default Screen"
        Device        "NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
        Monitor        "CM752ET"
        DefaultDepth    16
        SubSection "Display"
            Depth        16
            Modes      "1024x768_75.00"
        EndSubSection
    EndSection
    Change the DefaultDepth to what you would want it to be, 16 (65536 colors) or 24 (16M colors). Change the Modes line to match the resolutions you want to use - Depth must match DefaultDepth (here it's 16).Save the config. If you're in X, hit CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart X . Change between virtual consoles with CTRL + F1 F2 F3 and so on - your X should be on F7.
    Cool; so does this mean I don't need to bother with downloading the Nvidia module that someone else referenced? Also, do I do all of this using the "xorgconfig" command?

As a side note, I am looking at purchasing the Netgear WG511U due to its compatibility with madwifi/ Is this a good choice, or is there another card someone could recommend hands down? I would link directly to the card, but I cannot do that until I have posted at least 15 times.

Thanks for all of the help on this issue; I think I have enough to at least get me started on the right track as far as correcting it goes. Right now, I'm trying to figure out my Vertical Frequence for the modline tool :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast