Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: High Gain Wireless Network Antennas

Default omni antenna and 1 watt amp

my EEE uses stock card,ufl jumper, 1 watt amp off ebay,same price as alpha 5oo mw. and 12 db omni magnetic antenna base. off ebay. antenna cost $1.99 but $7.75 shipping from hong kong. i pull three bars now on all ap.and am now close enough to inject to clients. I also use this set up on my dll 700m,with ro wirless card. i was using atheos 400mw internal on the dell,but you cant use a high power card with the amp,(its input is 100mw max in). didnt want to over drive the amp. The amp needs a power source 120vac. (power inverter or plug needed). Tried cantennas and Yagis,also bilt a few. Thanks for listening. later p.s. the antenna cable is 8'. Total power 30db=amp and 12 db antenna 42 db total strenght.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by 3l33t1 View Post
    my EEE uses stock card,ufl jumper, 1 watt amp off ebay,same price as alpha 5oo mw. and 12 db omni magnetic antenna base. off ebay. antenna cost $1.99 but $7.75 shipping from hong kong. i pull three bars now on all ap.and am now close enough to inject to clients. I also use this set up on my dll 700m,with ro wirless card. i was using atheos 400mw internal on the dell,but you cant use a high power card with the amp,(its input is 100mw max in). didnt want to over drive the amp. The amp needs a power source 120vac. (power inverter or plug needed). Tried cantennas and Yagis,also bilt a few. Thanks for listening. later p.s. the antenna cable is 8'. Total power 30db=amp and 12 db antenna 42 db total strenght.
    You've neglected to add in the loss that you have with the cheap coax that's on that cheap antenna, as well as the loss from the resultant high SWR on that cheap antenna.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

0.4 per foot lmr100 i dont have a swr meter. Are all amish this picky? Have you tried this antenna or even seen it ? Before asking me to do my cable losses. Whats next ohms law or dc loop resistance? lol so its a cheap antenna and my numbers are probably off.im not selling them just saying check them out on ebay. loosen up dood. What do you want from hong kong for $1.99 it aint sushi

0.4 per foot lmr100 i dont have a swr meter. Are all amish this picky? Have you tried this antenna or even seen it ? Before asking me to do my cable losses. Whats next ohms law or dc loop resistance? lol so its a cheap antenna and my numbers are probably off.im not selling them just saying check them out on ebay. loosen up dood. What do you want from hong kong for $1.99 it aint sushi
    So it's LMR100 with a .4db loss per foot, x 8 feet = 3.2db loss just in the cable. Add in another approximate .4db loss for the connector and now you're at 3.6db.

Now, considering that it's a cheap antenna, and you're putting a decent amount of power into it, the SWR is probably going to be rather high, anything more than 1.5:1 probably should be looked into getting tuned, anything more than 3:1 shouldn't be used at all.

I'm just pointing out, that you'd have been better off putting that money into a GOOD antenna with GOOD Coax, and have better results.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just the one's that want good results with their equipment. $1.99 antenna may as well use a coat hanger.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Just the one's that want good results with their equipment. $1.99 antenna may as well use a coat hanger.
    You still have the Coyote pic?

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    You still have the Coyote pic?

This probably was one of my better photochops. Well this and Thorn's avatar on the NS forums.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

If there is 3.4dB of loss in your cable, then most of your power is being dissipated in your cable. Also, the VSWR that your amp would see is greatly reduced by the cable attenuation. For example, if your cheap antenna has a VSWR of 3:1, your amp would only see a VSWR of 1.6:1 due to the 3.4dB of loss in the cable.

True i was just bustin ur ass. I bought it from the ACME antenna company.lol yea its only for enjoyment i have it sitting on my company truck and the amp near the laptop. it does the job.Ive seen the same antenna advertised for $10.00,so if your starting a Mesh network its no good,But its good for war driving. My friend has the alpha 500 usb and 9 db antenna ,and my setup blows his away. But yea If you have the cash go for a high gain antenna with good cable and conn. But on a company truck try pointing a yagi ar cantenna at a persons house and they think your the feds or terrorist. Mad respect to the elders, Thanks for the feed back.

Does that antenna go inthe cactus?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast