Thread: X Windows will not start

Default X Windows will not start

I have a dell inspirion 1100 which has a Intel Corp. 82845G/GL graphics card. everytime I try to startup kde it crashes. I am booting from the backtrack 3 livecd. What can I do so I can start the X windows system?

Thank you.

Stephen

give more info about the error you get. it may be bad download, but most likely it is a hardware-drivers issue. if u dont get any error and you get stack in like a black screen, try ctrl+alt+backspace to get back in command line and check the logs.
    -Google is watching you

-June 1, 2001, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer: "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches."

when I start the livecd it makes me choose a screen size that is not the right one, then when i try to startx it errors out or goes to a black screen.

Did you run xconf?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

yes
    i would run xconf then startx
    and get errors or a blank screen
    I would then restart and try again

I cannot get x windows to start

Developer

try running xconf and then before you run startx go in and edit you xorg.conf a little. Something to look for is defaultdepth. Should be 24. you can also add resolutions that way. You will see the resolutions listed in a line simply add the one you want to the end. Use google and you will find tons of xorg.conf's online. You may have to try out a lot of stuff to get one to work.