Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: macbook C2D BT3 specific changes...a tutorial of sorts...

Default macbook C2D BT3 specific changes...a tutorial of sorts...

I've been reading the forums and found it to be FULL of great info and instruction. Thanks to xploitz for his tutorials and purehate for his lack of patience for us n00bs :P

I thought I'd post a mini-tutorial on how to get some things working in BT3 on a macbook C2D for those needing a little spoonfeeding. Keep in mind this is not geared toward macbook pros or the new santa rosa macbooks. These steps may or may not work on those...I have no idea.

Kismet:

You need to find and edit your kismet.conf file with the following information:
    Change the line that says "source" to:

source=madwifi_g,wifi0,spoonfed

Note: Kismet doesn't work from the menu. Use a terminal and just type kismet to start it. If you try to start it without making the above change to the .conf, kismet will tell you there are no sources defined.

Also keep in mind that kismet will create a VAP (go to madwifi website for more info on a VAP, you really need to understand them) and use that VAP for its monitoring. It will subsequently delete it upon you closing kismet (shift+q).

Installing to HD:

If you haven't used the search button <sighs>, then you wouldn't have found this excellent tutorial on dual booting your macbook with BT3:

forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11154&highlight=macbook

The above author used bootcamp assistant to create his partition. In my case, I already had a windows partition and didn't want to blow it away. I wanted to "triple boot." So, using the below command, I successfully resized the OSX partition and created a new one to install BT3 to:

diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 90G "Linux" "Linux" 10G

This left the windows partition untouched and everything worked great. I had a buddy that ran into the infamous "No space available" message and hasn't found a cure yet. He was down to about 30G on his hard drive and using the OSX encryption on his disk so that may have had something to do with it.

Follow the rest of the directions in the above thread and you'll be golden.

xorg.conf:

Upon initial HD installation, you'll find that your resolution can't be changed to 1280x800. Perform the following steps to change that:

1. From terminal, "locate xorg.conf"

2. nano /path/to/xorg.conf

3. Find the graphics section and replace driver "vesa" with "i810"

4. At the Subsection "Display", ensure depth is 24 and Modes only has "1280 x 800" listed.

5. ctrl+x and yes

6. ctrl+alt+delete This will end the x session.

7. startx

8. See your new super high resolution!!! Should be persistent accross reboots.

WEP Cracking:

I've found that to successfully inject, the power level of an AP needs to read above 20. Anything lower than that and it's real spotty. Power levels are found with airodump-ng or kismet.

So I told myself I wouldn't spoonfeed too much but it seems I've already crossed that line...so I'll go a little further...

VAPs:

I stressed before the understanding of a very simple concept: VAPs. Here is the dummed down version from madwifi's website:

If you do an "iwconfig" you'll see a "wifi0" and an "ath0". According to the madwifi website (the drivers you're using), the ath0 is a VAP (virtual AP) that serves as the workhorse. You'll want to use ath0 for both sniffing and injecting. Essentially, to change the mode and channel of the base device (wifi0), you need to use a VAP. The VAP determines the mode of the underlying base device. More info can be found here: madwifi.org/users-guide/node14.html

You cannot change a VAP from "managed" mode to "monitor" mode. You have to destroy and then recreate the VAP to do that with the following commands:

wlanconfig ath0 destroy
    wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor
    -or-
    wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta

the "sta" is for managed.

I've seen people using airmon-ng on the forum but I haven't had much success with it. The above commands work great for me.

That's all I can think of for now. If anyone needs to correct me, please feel free and I'll edit my post with the correct info. Also, if anyone wants to add to this, please do so.

As a side note, I've only gotten BT3 to work correctly using the LiveCD and installing to HD. You can't boot from a USB on a macbook. You also cannot use your internal wifi card in VMWare on BT3.

One of you moderator guys should sticky this one. Pretty good info here.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by theberries View Post
    Thanks to xploitz for his tutorials and purehate for his lack of patience for us n00bs :P

And I thought pureh@te was doing a great job working on his patience with no0bies?? No???

Maybe this should be moved to the tutorials section then??
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

Yeah I wasn't really sure where to put it. It was macbook related and explained how to get the hardware working. I think it probably would be better placed in tutorials...would be nice if the tutorials section wasn't a sub-section of BT2...seems like it would be better under a generic section.

Quote Originally Posted by theberries View Post
    The above author used bootcamp assistant to create his partition. In my case, I already had a windows partition and didn't want to blow it away. I wanted to "triple boot." So, using the below command, I successfully resized the OSX partition and created a new one to install BT3 to:

diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 90G "Linux" "Linux" 10G

This left the windows partition untouched and everything worked great. I had a buddy that ran into the infamous "No space available" message and hasn't found a cure yet. He was down to about 30G on his hard drive and using the OSX encryption on his disk so that may have had something to do with it.
    thanks for this.

im assuming you cant run this from terminal using the target drive as the current booted drive? I tried and looked like after validation i got kicked out

diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 56G "Linux" "Linux" 4G
    then it says:
    verifying

Resizing encountered error The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972) on disk0s2 Macintosh HD

i am about to give it another try, after repairing with drive genius, this time from an external boot disk. id love to hear from anyone else who has had succes with a triple boot mac w/o erasing the partitions first.

Quote Originally Posted by kindkind View Post
    thanks for this.

im assuming you cant run this from terminal using the target drive as the current booted drive? I tried and looked like after validation i got kicked out

diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 56G "Linux" "Linux" 4G
    then it says:
    verifying

Resizing encountered error The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972) on disk0s2 Macintosh HD

i am about to give it another try, after repairing with drive genius, this time from an external boot disk. id love to hear from anyone else who has had succes with a triple boot mac w/o erasing the partitions first.
    I'd use an external firewire drive if you can. I've not seen many successful usb boots.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

kindkind,

What macbook are you using and OSX are you using? I was using the pre-santa rosa MB (right before it switched over) and OSX 10.4. I must have been lucky with the above resize command because from what I've seen, it's hit or miss with these macbooks.

A google search on that error turned up this page:

discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=613279

Hope it's not as serious as that Let us know how the repair and subsequent retry goes...

i am running a C2d macbook from late 06.

im going to check out that post you linked, here is one i found that gives me some hope, although the action was performed on an external disk.

hLINKmacgeekery.com/tips/cli/nondestructively_resizing_volumes
    (no link since i no 15psts )

i am gonna just go for it and run terminal from my FW mac clone and target the internal HD

Ill let you all know how this goes, BTW since the resize command will potentially write over any chunks that are astray i have defragged and there is a nice chunk of 16G that i can hopefully make a 4G partition of MS-DOS with so refit can sit the linux distro to. and im using 10.4.9

Yeah basically that link you posted does the same as my instructions. You don't need to format the new partitions, you just need it partitioned for BT3.

Doing it from an external sounds like a good plan though that error would certainly leave me questioning the integrity of my internal drive.

yea all done it went great

i entered

diskutil resizeVolume disk0s2 56.5G MS-DOS "linux" 3.5G

now i show my drives can boot from the original macHD - they are the correct size and i am about to install refit and do the BT install. hopefully i come through clean.

so it looks like even if you dont have alot of space, as long as you do a defrag and repair with 3rd party stuff you should be fine with the diskutil command.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast