Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iPhone fun and hello from me

Default iPhone fun and hello from me

Thought i'd better say hello as im new around here, but not new to Linux or BT (ive got a pre-release alpha iso in my files).

This forum looks interesting, so i'll probably stick around and try not to ask (too many) stupid questions.

Now the iPhone...........

My partner has just got one of these, which she wanted unlocking, so from my research one of the most popular ways is ziphone, i fired up my mac, downloaded it and hey presto, an unlocked iPhone.

(now the fun bit)

As there was a new toy on my network i decided to have a little scan, and i found port 22 open, so i did a bit of digging, and it turns out ziphone installs a version of ssh, with root access and a standard password.

I promptly logged in, as root, and found myself with a zsh shell, i was able to access the underlying BSD o/s no problem.

Ive asked a few people (around 15) who have used ziphone, not one of them new what ssh was!

So, got me thinking how many iPhones are out there with an open ssh port on default passwords?

I haven't printed the passwords, or where to get them, but its not hard to find out.

Any thoughts on this?
    If video games influenced behavior, we'd all be wandering round darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music...............

Yea, turn off, or uninstall ssh. Do not under any circumstances change the root password! If you do, you get to play the restore the bricked iPhone game. It's not fun, and sometimes not possible. The password is hard coded into some applications that need to use it, springboard (the gui) is one of them. If you change the password, you get an endless welcome to your new iPhone screen loop. This is one of the reasons they don't want people screwing with the phones. If they don't know what ssh it they need to stay the hell out of the iPhone's innards!
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yea, turn off, or uninstall ssh. Do not under any circumstances change the root password! If you do, you get to play the restore the bricked iPhone game. It's not fun, and sometimes not possible. The password is hard coded into some applications that need to use it, springboard (the gui) is one of them. If you change the password, you get an endless welcome to your new iPhone screen loop. This is one of the reasons they don't want people screwing with the phones. If they don't know what ssh it they need to stay the hell out of the iPhone's innards!
    So, in other words, you could pretty much brick iPhones remotely just by changing the default password?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    So, in other words, you could pretty much brick iPhones remotely just by changing the default password?
    Pretty much, yea. If it doesn't brick them, it will make them unusable until it's fixed. The really shitty part, it you can't just go back in and change it back. You have to put it in restore mode and reflash it.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

By default or is this a third party software install?

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    By default or is this a third party software install?
    Third party. That's why I said don't hack it if you don't know what you're doing.

I have contacted the package maker, I get the feeling he's ported the app over for the sake of it, without really thinking it through.

On another note, i recently did a quick scan of a network i was on in a hotel and found 7 iPhones, 5 of which had port 22 wide open.

Someone with more malicious intents than me is going to take advantage of this one day
    If video games influenced behavior, we'd all be wandering round darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music...............

Quote Originally Posted by KaYoS View Post
    I have contacted the package maker, I get the feeling he's ported the app over for the sake of it, without really thinking it through.

On another note, i recently did a quick scan of a network i was on in a hotel and found 7 iPhones, 5 of which had port 22 wide open.

Someone with more malicious intents than me is going to take advantage of this one day
    You need ssh to fix a few of the packages unfortunately. There's a program that lets you turn it on and off with a flick of a switch. You have to remember to turn it back off if you do a power reset on the phone though.

Just burned his ISO

Are you guys just doing a scan of an ip range with nmap? Is that how you are finding all of these Iphones?

On another note is there a way to filter the ssh port rather than disable it?

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Dice View Post
    Are you guys just doing a scan of an ip range with nmap? Is that how you are finding all of these Iphones?

On another note is there a way to filter the ssh port rather than disable it?
    You can change which port ssh uses, on a computer, don't know about the iPhone, didn't want to break mine again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast