Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Future in the IT-Industry

Arrow Future in the IT-Industry

I have recently started my education as an IT-Supporter, which is a short
    education that lasts 1 year and will end with a Cisco CCNA certificate.
    Now I'm 17, and this is the first time I have started working with computers
    outside of my free time, so there are a lot of things I am lacking knowledge in.

So I was wondering if there are any certifications out there that would suit
    someone with basic TCP/IP knowledge, basic security at the network layer, and
    just computers in general that I could aim for. It would also have to be
    recognized globally, as I live in Denmark. I have a lot of free time in my life, just
    moved into my own apartment :b, so I am willing to do anything that would
    benefit my future in the IT industry. Any advice not regarding a certificate
    would also be greatly appreciated . Thanks a lot.
    - Poul Wittig

There are several threads that may help you:

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=12579

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=10158

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11462

Reading Materials:

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11462

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=12991

Do you have any plans to attend college? I can't speak for europe, but here in the states it is something that opens a lot of doors. If you do have any school plans, my suggesstion is to study CS, and choose a networking concentration if you can. If not, find a technical internship to help build experiance and resume fodder.
    "Sure is for people with nothing on the line.....you and me? We just get on with it."

-Garabaldi

<EeePc 1000HA BT4/W7 USB boot Alfa500 GPS BlueTooth>

Quote Originally Posted by Deathray View Post
    .......So I was wondering if there are any certifications out there that would suit someone with basic TCP/IP knowledge, basic security at the network layer, and
    just computers in general that I could aim for........
    If you're looking for some kind of vendor neutral "basic introduction" level courses/cert's maybe you should look at the CompTIA offerings - A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+, etc.

They are aimed at a reasonably basic level, and are recognised pretty much everywhere, as CompTIA is a worldwide association comprising many of the main industry players.

A lot of people knock them as being quite basic, but if it's basic you're after then they're probably quite suitable as an introductory starting point to precede MS or Cisco cert's, for example

As with many "intro level" cert's, I would consider them to perhaps be more of a personal learning experience, rather than advantageous cert's to hold.
    Having said that, I don't have any personal experience of these courses, other than the training materials I've come across and browsed
    Perhaps someone with 1st hand experience could comment further?

Quote Originally Posted by Re@lity View Post
    If you're looking for some kind of vendor neutral "basic introduction" level courses/cert's maybe you should look at the CompTIA offerings - A+, Network+, Security+, Server+, Linux+, etc.

A lot of people knock them as being quite basic, but if it's basic you're after then they're probably quite suitable as an introductory starting point to precede MS or Cisco cert's, for example
    As a Network+ guy myself I absolutely think these are very nice introductory certs.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Not do disagree with our Admins but I wouldn't waste your time with CompTIA <whatever>+ certs. They're so pathetically simple it isn't much of a bonus to be able to say you've completed them. Though at the same time if you're about to get your CCNA then network+ is probably a simple one to get just as a "look I have multiple certs" kinda thing.

Although it's becoming overly popular and the content is starting to age I'd suggest getting your CISSP and it is currently a industry expectation that anyone doing IT Security consulting has one.

Depending on the type of work you're interested in I'd also suggest OPST or OPSA certification which seems to be gaining ground.

SANs has lots to offer but they're expensive. You might want to see if any of your local LearningTree, Learnix, etc have decently priced courses.

As far as formal education goes what have you completed? High school plus a 1 year college diploma? Have you considered a 3 year disploma or a Univeristy degree?

I'd also suggest that you find a local outsourcing company or head hunting company and see if they can get you a Gov't security clearance. 1) This is handy for all clients (incl. Gov't obviously), and 2) It takes time, if you have it done ahead of time you're in a better position.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    .........Not do disagree with our Admins but I wouldn't waste your time with CompTIA <whatever>+ certs. They're so pathetically simple it isn't much of a bonus to be able to say you've completed them. .............
    I agree that they're not valuable cert's to "hold", as per my original comment, but rather they are probably good basic level courses for using as an introductory "spring board" for beginners looking to gain a beginners level of knowledge.
    Simply a starting foundation, if you will.
    As with many "intro level" cert's, I would consider them to perhaps be more of a personal learning experience, rather than advantageous cert's to hold.
    Of course there are many much more valuable cert's to obtain, such as CISSP and many Cisco cert's, but they are hardly "beginner level" and the OP is looking for introductory level training, as I read it.

Not do disagree with our Admins but I wouldn't waste your time with CompTIA <whatever>+ certs. They're so pathetically simple it isn't much of a bonus to be able to say you've completed them. Though at the same time if you're about to get your CCNA then network+ is probably a simple one to get just as a "look I have multiple certs" kinda thing.
    Well, as much as I hate to say it, many places won't look at your resume if you don't have an A+ or a Network+ on it. I don't necessarily think that's fair, but its how HR people work. Also, some places will pay you to do certs, so its silly not to do them. Finally, if you work in contracting work, you can be worth "more" to the client if you hold certain certs, and the client may actually require certain certs to hire you (or require a certain % of the contractors to have such and such a cert).
    Although it's becoming overly popular and the content is starting to age I'd suggest getting your CISSP and it is currently a industry expectation that anyone doing IT Security consulting has one.
    I'm a big fan of CISSP, but its not entry level. In fact, unless you have the requisite 4-5 years of applicable experience, you can't even get it. Sure, you can take the test, but unless you fudge on your experience (which has to be vouched by another CISSP), you won't get the cert.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Take this coming from a guy currently looking for an IT job. Get the certs. Even if you already have a better understanding of what they are about. I've been doing computer/network support for over 10 years, I don't have any certs other than my Apple hardware certs. I'm still having trouble getting through the door at a lot of places. No A+, no MCSE. I've said it before, a trained monkey can get those certs, but it's still freaking magic to most HR personnel. If you're taking them as part of a college degree, thing of them as a good way to keep the gpa up.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

I disagree with this.

You make it sound as if anyone can walk in pay the testing fee and pass the exam.

Without proper background in networking the net+ exam will be difficult. You may be such an expert that these exams are easy to you and have already had a vast background in networking but anyone who's new and fresh to this it can pose to be a challenge. I think the same applies for the linux+ exam although I have not personally taken this test. A windows guru won't be able to take the linux+ exam and pass if they have had no experience using linux. While I don't deny the A+ exam was easy for me but I can see how it may be difficult to anyone without the background experience and a lot of studying.

I believe the CompTIA + exams are entry level certs and if thats what you are then thats what you should get.

@OP Go to college and get a degree in computer science. Don't pass any opportunity you have to go to college and get a degree while your still young.

**EDIT**

They're so pathetically simple it isn't much of a bonus to be able to say you've completed them.
    Don't be afraid to be proud of your own accomplishments. No matter how big or small they may seems to other people.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast