Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New updates in XP SP3

Developer

I would say ....

A: Stop admitting to illegal stuff or I will ban your a**

B: I find the first lesson of not using pirated software of much more value than dont use Windows.

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by KaYoS View Post
    Doesn't have to be open source, Ive been using Macs for many years now.

I know theres a lot of proprietary stuff in industry, but in my day job there is a shift towards oss as it can be faster and cheaper to implement.
    Ok, Again, there's a lot of things that Mac's cannot do in an industrial environment. Windows isn't going away anytime soon.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Ok, Again, there's a lot of things that Mac's cannot do in an industrial environment. Windows isn't going away anytime soon.
    Is it really that Mac's cannot do it or just that Mac's don't have the programming support for it?

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Is it really that Mac's cannot do it or just that Mac's don't have the programming support for it?
    They can't do it, as there are special cards that only work in PC's. I have a machine in our lab that runs a spectral analyzer that a Mac could not interface into as it takes a full length, full height PCI card.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

They can't do it, as there are special cards that only work in PC's. I have a machine in our lab that runs a spectral analyzer that a Mac could not interface into as it takes a full length, full height PCI card.
    Ahh, good point. I wasn't thinking of hardware devices that aren't available for the Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Ahh, good point. I wasn't thinking of hardware devices that aren't available for the Mac.
    Yeah, there's alot of proprietary hardware out there that's PC only, not to mention software with no Mac or OSS alternative. I don't know of any SCADA/HMI software that runs on Mac. There's I think 1 or 2 in the OSS world, but neither of them are powerful enough to run anything more than a couple of lightbulbs.

Plus you have to look at other aspects, customer billing, general ledger, inventory control, maintenance management. I'm sure there are some of these things available in the OSS world, but I bet selections are limited as are features.

Yeah, there's alot of proprietary hardware out there that's PC only, not to mention software with no Mac or OSS alternative. I don't know of any SCADA/HMI software that runs on Mac. There's I think 1 or 2 in the OSS world, but neither of them are powerful enough to run anything more than a couple of lightbulbs.

Plus you have to look at other aspects, customer billing, general ledger, inventory control, maintenance management. I'm sure there are some of these things available in the OSS world, but I bet selections are limited as are features.
    On the office side of things, the mac version of Quickbooks doesn't even do payroll! What the hell is that about? If it wasn't for that, my wife's business would be all macs. You can put full length pci cards in mac pros. It probably wouldn't work as there's no drivers, but macs support them.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

I believe that macs are best known for their graphics abilities. I know a few CG/game developers and macs are what they primarily use.

Other than for this, I have not seen them widely used for any other purpose.
    "Sure is for people with nothing on the line.....you and me? We just get on with it."

-Garabaldi

Somewhere in the "Ex" human right country

that was true when macs were still macs, now they are only pcs in mac boxes ...........

the only difference is that macs are much more expensive
    Watch your back, your packetz will belong to me soon... xD

BackTrack :
    Giving Machine Guns to Monkeys since 2006

Heh, Not one comment on what I even posted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast