Thread: The changes go away after reboot

axgupta1

Default The changes go away after reboot

I am bit of newbie with BT but familiar with Linux. I have downloaded and installed BT3 beta on a USB disk (not a USB flash drive). The disk boots up fine and I can access BT and run the programs. The problem is that if I create any file on the disk, it is created fine but disappears after a reboot. The disk is formatted as FAT32. If I access the same disk from within Windows and write a file even to the Linux area, that file is permanent and I can access it under Linux.

Question is why can't Linux write to the disk and save files permanently? As far as I know, Linux should be able to write to FAT32. If it is an access issue, the file creation itself should fail.

Thanks

Search the forums for "BT3 persistent changes"

Here's BP's tutorial:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7844

And here's a nice step-by-step that someone linked to a while ago:
    http://n00bhacker.blogspot.com/2008/...e-changes.html

axgupta1

Thanks for responding so quickly. I just found out about these threads through serach. I opened my post to update that I found the solutions and you had already posted the links. Amazing...Thanks again.

I have one question which is not addressed in these links:

a) Normally, when I install any Linux distro, I do not have to go through these steps to make any changes to conf files etc. permanent. Why do I have to do this for BT? Is it by design that BT protects certain areas?

No, it's simply that the CD or USB variants are designed to be "live" environments, whereby the system is reset each time you reboot.