Thread: Windows XP Professional Server ISO

Just burned his ISO

Default Windows XP Professional Server ISO

I am following the Metasploit Unleashed online course. I have gotten to the step where I am supposed to activate IIS, FTP and the SNMP stuff. The virtual machine insists that I insert the installation DVD. Where can I find an ISO image that matches the level of the FDCC-Q4-2009 system?

Just burned his ISO

Default Re: Windows XP Professional Server ISO

had the same problem ... grab a XP disk/iso and drop it in it will install the needed files from there

Wow, we DO NOT SUPPORT ILLEGAL ACTIVITY ON THIS FORUM!

Post reported. Phrack!
    Last edited by xX_Spiidey_Xx; 02-10-2010 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Re-read after post.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

I havent checked personally, but the I386 folder that the installation is done from might already be included in the Core desktop VM? If its there and you can point the install routine to it then the installation of the additional components will complete.

Of course if its not there you can do the install via inserting a XP disk or ISO if you legitimately own one, but of course if you don't legitimately own one no one here can direct you to a location where this could be downloaded. Neither of you have specifically asked for this though, and I haven't gotten the impression that you are trying to break the law, which is why Im not handing down a Illegal Activity infraction.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Neither of you have specifically asked for this though, and I haven't gotten the impression that you are trying to break the law, which is why Im not handing down a Illegal Activity infraction.
    Ok, maybe I flew off the handle a little.

Quote Originally Posted by twoofer View Post
    Where can I find an ISO image...
    initially gave me the impression that they were looking for pirated software. S'all. Sorry for buggin' ya lupin.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

Just burned his ISO

I spent some time cleaning my desk today and found a moldy disk for that system in the back. Problem solved.

Sorry if I set off the security system. I really did not mean to suggest that I was looking for pirated software.

Just for curiosity, what is the legal status of the NIST system I downloaded? Do I need a license for that?

Very good friend of the forum Gitsnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    I havent checked personally, but the I386 folder that the installation is done from might already be included in the Core desktop VM? If its there and you can point the install routine to it then the installation of the additional components will complete.
    If I am recalling the same VM (probably not but never the less), you will need to tell the installation to "Browse" (where it says D:\ for the CD drive). If there is one it's at C:\i386\ and includes the right information.

Incidentally, if my recollection is correct, spiidey was correct - the downloading of an XP ISO is illegal, even if the intent was purely innocent. There may be caveats but I think his gist was right, and his mood was wrong.

That should clear up both points I think!
    Still not underestimating the power...

There is no such thing as bad information - There is truth in the data, so you sift it all, even the crap stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitsnik View Post
    Incidentally, if my recollection is correct, spiidey was correct - the downloading of an XP ISO is illegal, even if the intent was purely innocent. There may be caveats but I think his gist was right, and his mood was wrong.
    Well I dont know if downloading copyrighted material is necessary illegal (thats probably a jurisdictional issue) but regardless of the specific legalities (and keeping in mind IANAL) we obviously dont want to be associated with distributing copyrighted material here. I got the impression that the OP only wanted to get his Metasploit test system up and running however, and did not want to pirate Windows, so as long as no one is directly asking for links to the ISO images or providing such links Im not going to issue infractions.

To (partially) answer the question about legality of using the Core Desktop Virtual machines, they are licensed for 120 days of use. In the 5 minutes of searching I did I wasnt able to find out much more than that. The VHD images have been provided by Microsoft and are made freely available on the FDCC web site for testing purposes (to confirm applications will work with the restricted settings of the FDCC). Im assuming testing for other purposes is allowable as well...

Im sure the actual license agreement is somewhere around...
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

For anyone wanting more info then look here F D C C
    and or National Vulnerability Database Home