Thread: Runing before i can walk

Default Runing before i can walk

So ive cracked my first WEP the other day but i am still UNABLE to connect to a wireless AP. It seems i have taught myself to run before i can walk.
    i do all my iwconfig essid "name" key "23423"
    i even try the gui and when i double click on the network name it trys connecting.... then says connection failed.
    i dont know if im missing something small but no matter what i try i havnt been able to actually connect to an AP for internet access.
    any help would be awesome

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Is MAC filtering turned on?
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Is MAC filtering turned on?
    hmmmm ill have to check my router. how could i tell?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by F4LSE View Post
    hmmmm ill have to check my router. how could i tell?
    A checkmark in the box labeled "Mac Filtering"
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    A checkmark in the box labeled "Mac Filtering"
    sounds plain and simple lol ill be doin some work once i get home
    thanx dude

Not only did you try to run before walking but you seem to have proceeded directly into a cement wall. Good job!

So ive cracked my first WEP the other day but i am still UNABLE to connect to a wireless AP.
    i dont know if im missing something small but no matter what i try i havnt been able to actually connect to an AP for internet access
    Perhaps instead of trying to connect to random APs for internet access you should pay for your own.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Default Bravo

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Not only did you try to run before walking but you seem to have proceeded directly into a cement wall. Good job!

Perhaps instead of trying to connect to random APs for internet access you should pay for your own.
    Such tech-savvy, insightful, well-thought-out advise! Perhaps a HOW-TO video would be on order?...

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iannoone View Post
    Such tech-savvy, insightful, well-thought-out advise! Perhaps a HOW-TO video would be on order?...
    Was absolutely correct what thorin said, maybe in some people's eyes brash but correct none the less. If you need one in order to connect to the internet using backtrack then maybe you should stop what you are doing and go back to windows.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.