Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Alfa AWUS036H: Getting started?

Just burned his ISO

Question New Alfa AWUS036H: Getting started?

Hey I just got this thing new, I'm a big noooob, so how do I proceed to getting this working? I've got BT3 loaded up but it's not detecting my Alfa. I've got my internal wifi switched off. When I do iwconfig, it's not showing the alfa at all. I plug it into windows and it detects right away. I tried looking on their site for updated drivers and the link is busted.... How do I get this up and running? That's really all I need, I know how to run things afterwards with airodump etc...

Just burned his ISO

You most likeky need to install the RTL8187b driver. Have a look at the aircrack-ng website and you'll see a link to an excellent driver there.

Another option is using what you already have in BT3 - airdriver-ng. Use it to check your both your installed and loaded drivers. Airdriver-ng can also retrieve, patch, compile, install, and load the driver.

Study up first, so that you don't break your system...and good luck.
    True security is based on open and rigorous probing of our strengths and weaknesses. Yeah, and life is too short for hyperbole, metaphor, and BS.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by holyiosef View Post
    You most likeky need to install the RTL8187b driver. Have a look at the aircrack-ng website and you'll see a link to an excellent driver there.

Another option is using what you already have in BT3 - airdriver-ng. Use it to check your both your installed and loaded drivers. Airdriver-ng can also retrieve, patch, compile, install, and load the driver.

Study up first, so that you don't break your system...and good luck.
    Okay I see sorta what you mean... I thought that BT3 already had the necessary drivers, but I think you are saying that the individual programs (airo, Aireplay etc.) have their own support for this? I thought that when I do my iwconfig, it should show up as detected, then I can mac spoof, and proceed monitoring and injecting etc... I hate to say it, but I think I need to be hand-held up until that point: I know and have used airo/aireplay to monitor and capture. I have an old broadcom which doesn't support injection, so again I know how to use the programs, I just don't know how to get this new hardware detected/working properly... But thanks for your insight!

pz

Just burned his ISO

Question

Okay so I RTFM like you said: hxxp://xxx.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=r8187#r8187 read the whole page 3x over... still cannot get this stuff working. Geesh how am I supposed to use this card if nobody will take 10min of their time to guide a noob to the right configuration. I know how to do the rest, I just don't know about the initial setup. Someone please help...

I see people trying to help you here so don't think no-one wants to help.

I could say try reinstalling BT3 etc. but that would be the easy way out.

I'll refer you to this thread, maybe it'll help you.
    Alfa AWUS036H testing results with different driver sources

Remember BT3 beta already has the driver with the the RT8187 patch.

If you don't get any joy here, try posting your problem in the aircrack forum.

Don't give up, we all have problems one way or the other so don't feel like you're the only one.

Peace
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by v12v12 View Post
    Hey I just got this thing new, I'm a big noooob, so how do I proceed to getting this working? I've got BT3 loaded up but it's not detecting my Alfa. I've got my internal wifi switched off. When I do iwconfig, it's not showing the alfa at all. I plug it into windows and it detects right away. I tried looking on their site for updated drivers and the link is busted.... How do I get this up and running? That's really all I need, I know how to run things afterwards with airodump etc...
    I see you said you got it loaded up, does that mean a Hard Drive install or off the CD? If its a HD install try off the CD. As it boots you also might watch the list of items being loaded and see if you see anything.

I have 2 of those cards and both of them are detected right away, so no extra drivers are needed.

FYI: The card will show up as wlan0 in iwconfig not alfa or anything related to alfa. Excuse me if you know that but I just wanted to make sure.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Probably seems like noone wants to help you here because you've posted a question in an area that states:

BT3beta WORKING hardware reports ONLY!!

Just burned his ISO

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Ricerrage View Post
    I see you said you got it loaded up, does that mean a Hard Drive install or off the CD? If its a HD install try off the CD. As it boots you also might watch the list of items being loaded and see if you see anything.

I have 2 of those cards and both of them are detected right away, so no extra drivers are needed.

FYI: The card will show up as wlan0 in iwconfig not alfa or anything related to alfa. Excuse me if you know that but I just wanted to make sure.

I tried using my Sandisk, and apparently now I can only get BT3 to load with "linuxrc" followed by "exit" commands... BUT NOW - that doesn't even work at all. I reformatted the stick, did the .bat install as before, copied over blah blah, now none of those cmds work at all. --GREAT! Now I'm stuck using the POS Live-CD and all it's noise.

So I've finally gotten the alfa so what working:

Hours of reading, reading and more reading... (Mind you I'm still a noob regarding the usage of these progs to their full extent)

1) Kismet-- conf'd correctly -Works

2) Aireplay-- seems to work I did a quick packet inject test on a sweep of networks and some accepted some didn't, but injection apparently works (I guess)

3) airodump-- Works also, but I cannot get the needed: BSSID of a STA associated to the target AP when I picked out my targeted network. It shows the network, BSSID, Chan etc... but never an STA = w/ do I do to get it to show?

4) aircrack-ng/ptw-- Haven't gotten this far b/c I don't have enough information to correctly inject to the AP? (Again assumption b/c I'm a noob).

Other than that the Alfa is SERIOUS with power, I pick up at least 7-10 MORE AP's than with my shitty broadcom. But that also lends itself to another noob problem... when I run kismet, or airodump, there's SO many new APs that it autoscrolls down and I cannot see the STA info associate with them. How do I stop this? uuuugh this damn OS and all these commands/lines

Thanks to all that continue to help/guide me.

PS- if a MOD could move this to the appropriate section hhmatt81 would greatly appreciate it.

-----------UPDATE-----------

SO right now I've progressed pretty far: I have gotten to the point, where right now, I'm sending packets to my target network!

I tried running a fake-deauth, which I got working also! BUT it didn't do anything? <---- I had to actually attempt to auth, (of course I don't have the correct key) once I was denied from auth'ing, suddenly injection kicks into high gear and rockets away at the limit I set ~300pps- I've sent 300K so far as indicated... BUT when I go and look at the #data column from airodump, it barely moves? Isn't it supposed to be the indicator of injected packets being sent? Or am I incorrect? I'm SO CLOSE (I assume)...?

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Probably seems like noone wants to help you here because you've posted a question in an area that states:

BT3beta WORKING hardware reports ONLY!!
    Moving to BT3 General

PS- if a MOD could move this to the appropriate section hhmatt81 would greatly appreciate it.
    See above comment. Your wish is my command.

Also @ v12v12.......

Does your PC have USB 1.0 or 2.0?? Just curious.
    [CENTER][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=5][B][COLOR=blue][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]--=[/COLOR][/FONT]Xploitz[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=red]=--[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Black][SIZE=6][B] ®[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=4][B]Remote-Exploit.orgs Master Tutorialist.[/B][/SIZE][SIZE=6][B]™
    [/B][/SIZE]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=9063"][B]VIDEO: Volume #1 "E-Z No Client WEP Cracking Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=7872"][B]VIDEO: Volume #2 "E-Z No Client Korek Chopchop Attack Tutorial"[/B]
    [/URL]
    [URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8230"][B]VIDEO: Volume #3 "E-Z WPA/WPA2 Cracking Tutorial"[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=8041"][B]VIDEO: Volume #4 "E-Z Cracking WPA/WPA2 With Airolib-ng Databases"[/B][/URL]
    [/CENTER]

GREAT! Now I'm stuck using the POS Live-CD and all it's noise.
    You may want to rethink your choice of words here...... Just my 0.02p

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast