Thread: wired to wireless bridge

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default wired to wireless bridge

kinda new to linux and i have tried the bridging tutorial, that didnt work. all i have is the bt3 live cd, laptop hard drive broke... long story. so i have no idea how to go about doing this if somone can help me it would be greatly apreciated.

Some more information would be great.

Which tutorial did you try? What is not working? Which error messages do you get?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

sorry, i tried this, linux-foundation.org/en/Net:Bridge i didnt get any error messages but i wasnt able to get an ip address.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingmunkiez View Post
    sorry, i tried this, linux-foundation.org/en/Net:Bridge i didnt get any error messages but i wasnt able to get an ip address.
    This is a BackTrack forum, not a generic Linux support forum. If you have questions about tutorials on this site, we will be more than happy to assist you, but asking questions about tutorials unrelated to BackTrack are unlikely to get you anywhere.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Just burned his ISO somedudeppf's Avatar

I think what flyingmunkiez is trying to say is that he wants to bridge say wlan0 to eth0.

If that's the case and you're asking if BackTrack has bridge-utils installed by default, I do not believe it does.

Also, if you're running from CD it will be harder to do, that is if you're planning on installing bridge-utils. I'm pretty sure you have to enable 'networking -> 802.1d Ethernet Bridging' in the Kernel, not sure if it is on BT2 or 3 by default.

hope this helps.

Just burned his ISO somedudeppf's Avatar

So, i'm an idiot and didn't even think to answer your question about bridging. You're actually thinking about routing or forwarding (Masquerading).

Just boot to the BT3 CD and try something along these lines:

Code:
    bt~#cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward 1
    bt~#iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wlan0
    The cat will turn ip forwarding on and the iptables command will forward ALL traffic OUT (-o) interface wlan0.

Example: I have eth0 on network 192.168.2.1 and wlan0 is connected to my wireless as 192.168.1.100. If I plug a cross-connect cable into eth0 with a Windows PC as 192.168.2.2 and tell it that its gateway is 192.168.2.1, then, hopefully, I can browse the internet on the Windows PC.

This is basic, but it should work for the low-tech quick fix you're looking for.

Let me know if it doesn't work and we'll figure something out.