Thread: How to automate Backtrack 4

Red face How to automate Backtrack 4

Dear all, this is my first post in this forum..

I am running Backtrack 4 on my laptop with great success so far and just love the distro and gui.
    I am not all that good in Linux just yet, but getting there slowly.

My question is devided into two:

1. Each time i start BT4 I have to log in as root and run startx to get the gui up, after that I need to up my wifi card, run wicd and then log on to my wireless AP.

- How to I get this to be automated, by this meaning that BT will log me in and autostart wlan0?
    - Is it then prefered to do so in BT or is it just intended and common to do it manual each time?

2. I am running as root (default) but each time that I try to run wireshark I get an message telling me that root and root groupe is active and that could be dangerous

- Why is that and should I creat a user account with adimn rights to remidy this? I have raed the FAQ that indicates the prefered reason for running root, so the question is just for my own knowledge and any tip are most welcome.

Thanks in advanced

Default Re: How to automate Backtrack 4

You mentioned you read a FAQ entry on "the preferred reason for running root", which Im assuming is the one linked below, but did you read the HowTo linked from within? It provides a lot of background detail on the issue and it should answer your second question.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...-run-root.html

The following will provide information on how to start networking automatically, and how to autostart the GUI, you can work out how to automatically logon by asking Google.
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...gui-login.html
    http://www.backtrack-linux.org/forum...backtrack.html
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Red face Re: How to automate Backtrack 4

Thank you very much

Default Re: How to automate Backtrack 4

Quote Originally Posted by exeption View Post
    - Why is that and should I creat a user account with adimn rights to remidy this? I have raed the FAQ that indicates the prefered reason for running root, so the question is just for my own knowledge and any tip are most welcome.
    Wireshark is a huge and complex program, and (as with any huge and complex programs) there will be bugs. If you're using BackTrack, I'm sure that you understand that some of these bugs can be exploited to threaten the security of your system (there was an arbitrary code exploit discovered in Wireshark only a few months back - see here: Wireshark Dissector LWRES Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities). This is particularly relevant if you are looking at packet capture files given to you by other people.

Secondly, I'm sure you can understand the considerably greater risk of being exposed to a remote-code exploit as root as compared to an unprivileged user. This is why I have customized my copy of BT4 to run xchat, firefox, wireshark, and a number of other apps as an unprivileged user.

The other apps I mentioned have no need to run as root, and changing them is pretty easy. Wireshark, otoh, needs to run as root in order to perform packet capturing. The interesting part is that the packet capture potrion of Wireshark is actually performed by a different process entirely, called dumpcap.

If you're game for it, it's actually pretty easy to customize your environment so that you can run Wireshark as a non-root user. The oldschool way (which is what I did) is to change the permissions on dumpcap to be a setuid root. The new hotness is to use Linux Capabilities (setcap 'CAP_NET_RAW+eip CAP_NET_ADMIN+eip' /usr/bin/dumpcap) but I honestly haven't invested the time into coming to grips with it yet, so I opted for the oldschool method.

read more about it here Security - The Wireshark Wiki and here CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges - The Wireshark Wiki