Thread: Live CD won't boot

Just burned his ISO

Default Live CD won't boot

i tried to make a live cd i checked the md5 hash from the iso file it matched, then i used nero to burn onto a cd which i burned the iso image yet when i tried to boot it it says image checksume error, from what i gather it's a common problem yet when i have tried multiple times to create a cd it fails. also it might be nothing but it also says before it tries to boot that it has no emulator does this matter? i would please like to know what i can do to solve my problem, thanks

Are you burning at the slowest possible speed?
    Are you using a cdr, as opposed to a cdrw?
    Have you tried a different brand of media?

What machine is it? Is it an old machine which perhaps has issues reading or booting from cdr?

Just burned his ISO

i'm burning at x4 in nero ( i first tried power Iso but that failed)
    i've tried buring both cdr and cdrw then i ran out of cdr so now i'm buring cdrw
    and yes i've tried two different types of cd's made by different maufacturers
    and lastly ive tried burning it on my aspire 5520 and then my destop both failed

I assume you've also tried booting the CD/USB stick on different machines?

BTW, I would recommend using a cdr rather than a cdrw.

It's starting to sound like an issue with the machine you are attempting to boot on.
    Please verify whether you experience the same issue booting on a different machine?

Just burned his ISO

yes, and on the second machine it was the same problem however when i made a boot disk of backtrack three it work untill after the logg in screen were it said it could not find Startx could be a result of a bad download or perhaps a bad burning due to a bad checksome i however had yet to have a chance to try to boot backtrack three on my laptop i will try that when i get home. also is there a specific reason why cd-r is preferred or is it due to it being non rewritable?

cd-r:
    1) cheaper than cd-rw
    2) holds slightly more data than cd-rw
    3) prevents people from accidentally re-mastering the cd if they don't know what they are doing.

They can be burned onto cd-rw but isolinux isn't picky about the media its burned onto. You can't remaster on the fly that easily anyway.

Some older cd drives can be funny about booting from cdrw in my experience.