Thread: How to configure an evdo modem as a wireless modem

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation i am unable to configure my zte evdo modem as a wireless modem in backtrack

respected members and moderators,
    my name is shashank and first of all i wants to tell all of u that i am using backtrack 3 beta which is completely installed on my hard disk.
    And i m using internet through an 3g wireless data terminal which is also called as zte mg 478 or zte ac8700 evdo modem, it is built or manufactured by qualcomm, inc as shown in my backtrack when i use 'lsusb' command in my data terminal.
    so i configured my evdo modem by using modprobe command like this -
    'modprobe usbserial vendor=0x05c6 product=0x6000'
    after that when i type 'dmesg' i found that it was then recognized by backtrack as /dev/ttyUSB0
    and then i am able to connect to internet by using both kppp and pppd.
    the connection is running quite good, but when i type iwconfig in shell terminal then i am not able to see my device as wireless device,
    so please can any body tell me to configure my evdo modem as a wireless modem in the kwifimanager.
    because without that i was not able to perform any of the wireless attacks.
    Please help me.

Quote Originally Posted by shashank1232 View Post
    respected members and moderators,
    my name is shashank and first of all i wants to tell all of u that i am using backtrack 3 beta which is completely installed on my hard disk.
    And i m using internet through an 3g wireless data terminal which is also called as zte mg 478 or zte ac8700 evdo modem, it is built or manufactured by qualcomm, inc as shown in my backtrack when i use 'lsusb' command in my data terminal.
    so i configured my evdo modem by using modprobe command like this -
    'modprobe usbserial vendor=0x05c6 product=0x6000'
    after that when i type 'dmesg' i found that it was then recognized by backtrack as /dev/ttyUSB0
    and then i am able to connect to internet by using both kppp and pppd.
    the connection is running quite good, but when i type iwconfig in shell terminal then i am not able to see my device as wireless device,
    so please can any body tell me to configure my evdo modem as a wireless modem in the kwifimanager.
    because without that i was not able to perform any of the wireless attacks.
    Please help me.
    I think the reason is that it's a modem and not a wireless device. If you want to do so called wireless attacks you have to use a compatible wireless card/adapter. A modem simply will not perform that function.

If you have a laptop... it's quite possible that you already have an internal wireless card that may even be compatible using certain drivers.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

thank u for posting your good advice but i want to tell u that this is a wireless network card and i connect it to my computer with usb.
    please tell me the compatible drivers for this modem.
    it is built of qualcom chipset.

Developer

shashank1232, I've never heard of whatever brand that is. I would get yourself a compatible card if you want to do any wireless auditing. The chances of that brand injecting seem slim. In any case you would have to know the chipset of the wireless device to get any further information.

Just burned his ISO

hi sir i want to tell every body that chipset of my card is of "qualcomm".
    and the reason why i am using only this card is that it is the only wireless card availaible in my country based on 3g technology,

Quote Originally Posted by shashank1232 View Post
    hi sir i want to tell every body that chipset of my card is of "qualcomm".
    and the reason why i am using only this card is that it is the only wireless card availaible in my country based on 3g technology,
    If it's a 3g modem then it's not going to be able to connect to or monitor wireless networks, unless it is a 3g modem and wireless card in one.

Yes it connects wirelessly to 3g networks, however 3g and wireless networking are completely different technologies.

3G = (Third Generation) - Generic name for mobile wireless systems used for offering advanced voice and data services.
    802.11 = The IEEE standard for wireless networking.

Can't you order a compatible wireless card from another country? You can get a decent compatible wireless adapter for about US $20-30.

Which country are you from?

btw. I also have a 3g modem that connects to my computer via usb and connects wirelessly to a "mobile network"/"cellphone provider".

To try and make it clear

1. You will still need your 3g modem to connect to your cellphone provider in order to access the internet with 3g technology.

2. To connect to 802.11 wireless networks or to other computers, wirelessly... you will need a wireless card/device that uses 802.11 technology.

[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]