Thread: Partition recommendations?

Just burned his ISO

Default Partition recommendations?

What would you recommend is the best way to partition a 120GB laptop drive, for Backtrack? I plan to have BT2 as the OS, but also to have a couple of virtual machines inside it (XP, and maybe another Linux).

I'm thinking about putting /home on a separate partition, so I won't lose that if I need to re-install (or upgrade to BT3). I'm also thinking about encrypting it (truecrypt).

What partition sizes do you recommend? I was think 50MB for /boot and 1GB for swap. What about the rest? Split it 50/50 between /home and /, or should I have more on either one?

Thanks for the help,

~Tomek

Quote Originally Posted by Tomek View Post
    What would you recommend is the best way to partition a 120GB laptop drive, for Backtrack? I plan to have BT2 as the OS, but also to have a couple of virtual machines inside it (XP, and maybe another Linux).

I'm thinking about putting /home on a separate partition, so I won't lose that if I need to re-install (or upgrade to BT3). I'm also thinking about encrypting it (truecrypt).

What partition sizes do you recommend? I was think 50MB for /boot and 1GB for swap. What about the rest? Split it 50/50 between /home and /, or should I have more on either one?

Thanks for the help,

~Tomek
    It's really your personal preference. By BT2 and BT3b partitions are 10-12 GBs, which is plenty for me and more than enough for most people. But that's just me.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

I'd recommend the swap partition to be at least 1.5x the ram.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]