Thread: Ubiquiti SRX expresscard

Just burned his ISO

Default Ubiquiti SRX expresscard

Just got one of the ubiquiti SRX expresscards a few days and I'm happy to report that it works fine with aircrack, kismet, and backtrack. I am using a Acer Aspire 4315-2963 Laptop. I tested the card first in OpenSuSE 10.3 with a 2.6.22-17 kernel which is my main OS and it was recognized at boot with no problem, I originally had a AR5007 mini pci-e so the madwifi -r3366 with the patch was the driver I had loaded. If you want to hot plug you have to load the pciehp module after you boot. I tested the aircrack suite ver. 1.0 beta 2 and everything works including injection. Next I popped in the BT3 cd and it also recognized the card at boot, haven't gotten around to testing the aircrack suite in BT besides airodump but I will get around to it this weekend and post results, should work fine but they are using an earlier revision of madwifi so I want to make sure. Also FWIW the latest SVN version of madwifi did not work with aircrack, no injection. The card works pretty well, can inject from quite a good distance, however the card does not seem to pick up all the networks I could using the AR5007 based mini pci-e nic that came with the laptop. I'm not exactly sure why and I have talked to ubiquiti about it but they haven't given me any fixes yet. I think I have tried every possibility on trying to improve this but no luck so far. I am using a 5dBi antenna that came with the card from data alliance. Just a few pointers for others using the card, set the antenna diversity to 0 (sysctl -w dev.wifi0.diversity=0) when using the external antenna (pretty much have to use external antenna) and I seemed to get the best results with airodump by including the --band g switch. Overall a nice card but it is to expensive and the problem with not picking up all the networks is a pain. However it is nice to know that there is a linux compatible expresscard available and hopefully the rx problems will be fixed in the future.

Thanks for the info. Yes, it is nice to know of an express card with Linux compatibility

Please post further on your BT compatibility testing

(are you using BT2 or BT3b?)

Just burned his ISO

I am using BT3b, I think I have a BT2 disc around here somewhere so I'll try it on that one as well. I'll post back results sometime this weekend.

I also have the SRX, I am in the process of testing it out with aircrack in BT3b. So far it looks like all is well, but i want to confirm it all.

I also have found that this card picks up about the same number of networks as the AR5007eg built in to my laptop

Thank you for the tip on setting diversity.
    That's why I say hey man nice shot. What a good shot man.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by distortedskies View Post
    Just got one of the ubiquiti SRX expresscards a few days and I'm happy to report that it works fine with aircrack, kismet, and backtrack. I am using a Acer Aspire 4315-2963 Laptop. I tested the card first in OpenSuSE 10.3 with a 2.6.22-17 kernel which is my main OS and it was recognized at boot with no problem, I originally had a AR5007 mini pci-e so the madwifi -r3366 with the patch was the driver I had loaded. If you want to hot plug you have to load the pciehp module after you boot. I tested the aircrack suite ver. 1.0 beta 2 and everything works including injection. Next I popped in the BT3 cd and it also recognized the card at boot, haven't gotten around to testing the aircrack suite in BT besides airodump but I will get around to it this weekend and post results, should work fine but they are using an earlier revision of madwifi so I want to make sure. Also FWIW the latest SVN version of madwifi did not work with aircrack, no injection. The card works pretty well, can inject from quite a good distance, however the card does not seem to pick up all the networks I could using the AR5007 based mini pci-e nic that came with the laptop. I'm not exactly sure why and I have talked to ubiquiti about it but they haven't given me any fixes yet. I think I have tried every possibility on trying to improve this but no luck so far. I am using a 5dBi antenna that came with the card from data alliance. Just a few pointers for others using the card, set the antenna diversity to 0 (sysctl -w dev.wifi0.diversity=0) when using the external antenna (pretty much have to use external antenna) and I seemed to get the best results with airodump by including the --band g switch. Overall a nice card but it is to expensive and the problem with not picking up all the networks is a pain. However it is nice to know that there is a linux compatible expresscard available and hopefully the rx problems will be fixed in the future.
    hello can you post step by step? cuz my card here canot inject in bt3beta

Default Ubiquity injection test results

These are the results from the injection test using BT3b, i have not updated the madwifi drivers

my alfa is wlan0 , the Ubiquity srx is ath2
    each set for monitor mode and channel set to 6

bt ~ # aireplay-ng -9 -i wlan0 ath2

00:11:43 Trying broadcast probe requests...
    00:11:43 Injection is working!
    00:11:45 Found 2 APs
    00:11:45 Trying directed probe requests...
    00:11:45 00:1C:F0:xx:xx:xx - channel: 6 - 'linksys'
    00:11:49 Ping (min/avg/max): 2.735ms/109.889ms/200.003ms Power: 20.32
    00:11:49 28/30: 93%
    00:11:49 00:0C:41:xx:xx:xx - channel: 6 - 'linksys'
    00:11:55 0/30: 0%
    00:11:55 Trying card-to-card injection...
    00:11:55 Attack -0: OK
    00:11:55 Attack -1 (open): OK
    00:11:55 Attack -1 (psk): OK
    00:11:55 Attack -2/-3/-4: OK
    00:11:59 Attack -5: Failed

while the fragmentation attack shows failed, I have verified that it works .

The card does not find any more networks than the atheros built in to the laptop
    That's why I say hey man nice shot. What a good shot man.