Thread: Lenovo T60 wifi compatibility?

Hybrid View

Just burned his ISO

Default Lenovo T60 wifi compatibility?

Hello everyone,
    i am very familiar with windows world and pc building. But recently i have been wanting to learn new things like linux, wifi security and so on. BackTrack was recommended to me by a fellow student. I am total newb to all this so please correct me if im wrong. And after some research it seems to be best tool to use for learning wifi-security. I have a IBM lenove T60 notebook and Linksys Wrtgs54 router. I have been searching around the net to find more information and i found that you need a wifi card to start. so my first question would be can i use the wifi card built into the notebook? or if i cant can you guys suggest some cards that would be easy to use in terms of compatibility and and ease of use. Please give me as much info as you can on if i should get pcmca or usb car. Please tell me the whole product name and or product code when giving suggestion. My budget is 50$ to 100$, i do not want to spend more than i have to but if there is a specific benefit to getting something more expensive please give explanations. I looked at "500mW Alfa USB Wireless-G Adapter w/ 8 dBi ANTENNA kit" on ebay which is currently on sale for 60 bucks. Please tell if if this is good and if not explain why it is not good. I do not want to buy something and realize later that it is not compatible or not "fully" compatible. Please help thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mtheory View Post
    ............I have a IBM lenove T60 notebook and Linksys Wrtgs54 router. I have been searching around the net to find more information and i found that you need a wifi card to start. so my first question would be can i use the wifi card built into the notebook?.....
    Look up the type of wireless card used in your laptop - specifically the chipset.
    A quick Google should throw up the results you need.

Is the card detected in BT3b?
    Look at "ifconfig" "iwconfig" and see if the card shows up.
    Or, even try "lspci" (If lspci is a bit much, try to filter it with "lspci | grep Ethernet")

............or if i cant can you guys suggest some cards that would be easy to use in terms of compatibility and and ease of use......
    Check the wiki HCL's and see if your card is supported.

Next, search around the forums for a wealth of information on known good or bad cards. This should help to extend your possibilities.

............Please give me as much info as you can on if i should get pcmca or usb car.......
    Personally, I wouldn't buy a USB car, because every time you go for a drive the lead will probably pull straight out of your PC

............I looked at "500mW Alfa USB Wireless-G Adapter w/ 8 dBi ANTENNA kit" on ebay which is currently on sale for 60 bucks. Please tell if if this is good and if not explain why it is not good.......
    If you search the forums, you'll find info on the Alfa 500Mw card.
    The thing to watch is that they come with 2 different types of chipset, and only one of them is considered to be worth buying for use with BT.
    You'll find more details in the respective thread

Lastly, please search the forums before posting and also, please use descriptive thread titles, as per the forum rules