Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dictionary Generator & SSH Brute Force

Just burned his ISO

Question Dictionary Generator & SSH Brute Force

I searched around but wasn't able to find the answer I'm looking for. Here's my situation:

I have a linux server (dsl) with SSH access, but I can not for the life of me remember the exact password I used. I know what word I used, but I used numbers within the password to replace letters. For example, if my password was "bobmarks", I may have used "b0bm4rks" or some other variation with numbers. Is there a program I can use to generate a dictionary list with all possible letter/number combinations for this word?

I plan to use hyrda to do the actual brute force cracking as documented withing the wiki: wiki.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Howto:thc-hydra

Any suggestions or help is appreciated!

Check out Masking Password Generator Pro, it's a windows only program, but I remember it having a specific section on replacing 0's for O's, and 4's for A's and all that 1337 stuff

It's your box why don't you just reset the password from the console?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    I can not reset the password unless I can login..

Quote Originally Posted by bjm2q View Post
    I have a linux server (dsl) with SSH access, but I can not for the life of me remember the exact password I used.

I searched around but wasn't able to find the answer I'm looking for. Here's my situation:

I have a linux server (dsl) with SSH access, but I can not for the life of me remember the exact password I used. I know what word I used, but I used numbers within the password to replace letters. For example, if my password was "bobmarks", I may have used "b0bm4rks" or some other variation with numbers. Is there a program I can use to generate a dictionary list with all possible letter/number combinations for this word?

I plan to use hyrda to do the actual brute force cracking as documented withing the wiki: wiki.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Howto:thc-hydra

Any suggestions or help is appreciated!
    Is it really that difficult to manually come up with the few dozen (at most) possibilities?!
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    Is it really that difficult to manually come up with the few dozen (at most) possibilities?!
    Must be to difficult to physically reset it as well.
    Μολὼν λαβέ - Great spirits encounter heavy opposition from mediocre minds.

I can not reset the password unless I can login..
    False...... You fail SysAdmin 101.

You have physical access to the box, what do you do when you forget the root PW?
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO

False...... You fail SysAdmin 101.

You have physical access to the box, what do you do when you forget the root PW?
    This is for self-education purposes. I do not need a "SysAdmin 101" course so please do not reply if you are not offering constructive suggestions. Pretend I do not have physical access (I already am aware of alternative methods for changing the password with physical access).

This is for self-education purposes. I do not need a "SysAdmin 101" course so please do not reply if you are not offering constructive suggestions. Pretend I do not have physical access
    So it's not your box then? Which means you're doing something illegal. Please read the forum rules before posting.
    (I already am aware of alternative methods for changing the password with physical access).
    So where did your statement "I can not reset the password unless I can login.." come from?

Just burned his ISO

Um, no.. I'm am not doing anything illegal. thorin, stop spamming up my thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast