Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Backtrack Apps In Ubuntu...

Default Running Backtrack Apps In Ubuntu...

Hey everyone it appears my new laptop isnt exactly compatible with BT which is a grave misfortune. However I already have ubuntu another linux distro installed on a partition, up and running. I was wondering if anyone knew of anyway to run some of the BT apps on ubuntu? I know I would need the proper wireless card driver to support injection and promiscuous mode...
    But what else would I need to accomplish this? Are there other files/libraries I would require? Would it be easiest to extract the apps from a live cd or to go download them independently from the web?

Quote Originally Posted by abseeley View Post
    Hey everyone it appears my new laptop isnt exactly compatible with BT which is a grave misfortune. However I already have ubuntu another linux distro installed on a partition, up and running. I was wondering if anyone knew of anyway to run some of the BT apps on ubuntu? I know I would need the proper wireless card driver to support injection and promiscuous mode...
    But what else would I need to accomplish this? Are there other files/libraries I would require? Would it be easiest to extract the apps from a live cd or to go download them independently from the web?
    Ubuntu automatically installs required dependencies and libraries, eg. It's as simple as Install aircrack-ng and Ubuntu should do the rest for you.

I hope that helps. But rather use Backtrack, somehow.

If you use Ubuntu you're going to have to join the Ubuntu Forums
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Haha well thats great news and thanks for the quick reply, I wish I could use backtrack but it hangs at boot and you have to use some wonky tricks to even get to the part where it hangs! Its aparently like this on all of the same model from HP oh well I guess ot ubuntu for me (sobs)

Seems like a question for the Ubuntu or even better the nUbuntu forums.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by abseeley View Post
    Haha well thats great news and thanks for the quick reply, I wish I could use backtrack but it hangs at boot and you have to use some wonky tricks to even get to the part where it hangs! Its aparently like this on all of the same model from HP oh well I guess ot ubuntu for me (sobs)
    Regarding BackTrack.....

Which HP model is it?

Did you post in the BT3b non-working h/w section, or the wiki HCL's?
    Maybe you'll get more help that way?

Or, are you talking about BT2?

I have an HP dv5215us and it works great.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    Seems like a question for the Ubuntu or even better the nUbuntu forums.
    Wow a security distro for nUbus. First time I've seen that
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by .lonewolf View Post
    Wow a security distro for nUbus. First time I've seen that
    It's been around for a while, just isn't as popular as BT.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    It's been around for a while, just isn't as popular as BT.
    Someone might think there's a reason for that
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    I have an HP dv5215us and it works great.
    I have some HP's too, and generally find they run BT fine - DV9292's, a V6000 and an older V2000 (iirc!)
    This is why I wondered what model the guy has?

I had never heard of that nubuntu either........

I see that they no longer host their screenshots themselves, due to excessive bandwidth issues.
    Also, the download link gives me a 404

Edit: In fairness though, it would seem that the project has remained static for a while now.
    It would appear that they're awaiting the new (8.04?) release of Ubuntu before taking up the project again...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast