Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BT2+XP+Vista Triple Boot

Just burned his ISO

Default BT2+XP+Vista Triple Boot

I installed XP, Vista, BT2 in the order and i get the dual boot for XP, Vista. So i tried to configure the lilo file to give the list of the three OS's. But i dont know if anything is wrong with the file or what here is the lilo.conf file:

lba32
    boot /dev/hda1
    #message = /boot/boot_messages.txt
    prompt
    timeout=1200
    change-rules
    reset
    vga=791
    #linux bootable partition config begins
    image = /boot/vmlinuz
    root = /dev/hda6
    label = Backtrack 2
    read-only
    #linux bootable partition ends
    #windows bootable partition begins
    other = /dev/hda1
    label = WindowsXP
    table = /dev/hda
    #windows bootable partition ends
    #windows bootable partition begins
    other = /dev/hda5
    label = WindowsVista
    table = /dev/hda
    #windows bootable partition ends

If there is anything wrong in the text please tell me. When i go to konsole and type in lilo -v it sais:

Fatal: raid_setup: stat("/dev/hda")

Pretty sure that i don't have a raid setup. If there is any other procedures i have to do?

Thanks

Developer

lilo will not boot 2 ntfs partitions. The only way to make that work is to get the two windows OS's dual booting first with the windows bootloader and then install bt and point to the first windows OS and you will then be presented with your 2 windows choices.

It is also possible to boot bt3 from the windows boot loader however i must say I don't know how and don't really care to. Some one else may know though.

Just burned his ISO

Ahhh i see so i could cross ou the last "windows bootable partition begins" for vista. Then how do i change the lilo config to the config lilo file that i wrote.

EasyBCD is one solution.

EasyBCD is NeoSmart Technologies' multiple award-winning answer to tweaking the new Windows Vista bootloader. With EasyBCD, almost anything is possible. Setting up and configuring Windows boot entries is simple, and there is no easier way to quickly boot right into Linux, Mac OS X, or BSD straight from the Windows Vista bootloader - on the fly, no expert knowledge needed!
    http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Just burned his ISO

Thanks for that but i triedit and i get "The application failed to inizialize properly (0xc0000135)

Just burned his ISO

NVM i guess i was missing .net framework.

I assume you have it working now then?

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Just burned his ISO

Well i thought it was going to be easy but i guess not. I did all the steps rquired to make the triple boot with the easyBCD (only 2 steps ). I chose the drive (ext3 format) and the type of boot loader it is LILO/GRUB (tryed both LILO and GRUB) But it doesnt seem to want to boot, it give me the message "PLEASE INSERT THE SYSTEM DISK". I did install all the file to the drive and browsed the drive it and checked it. When i rewrite the lilo.conf file by "nano /etc/lilo.conf" and it shows me boot file .conf, how do i save the file and exit without erasing everything. After that i have to type "lilo -v" correct?
    Thanks in advance

Developer

I'm not sure how well easy bcd works. If you must use easy bcd i would do this... (note: I would use lilo instead)

1) first get xp and vista dual booting with easy bcd fully working as dual boot.

2) install bt3 and write lilo to MBR. At this point when you reboot you should only see lilo and then go into bt.

3) Now use a boot disc like hirens or you xp recovery disc to fixmbr and fixboot

4) now when you reboot you should be back to your dual boot easy bcd

5) Now point the easy bcd at lilo and reboot.

I'm not saying this will work however it makes sense to me.

Just burned his ISO

Makes sence to me pureh@te! Thanks, i will try that later tonight bacuase im not by the pwning machine now...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast