Thread: how to install Video card driver MODULE?

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation how to install Video card driver MODULE?

I have a radeonHD video card and i installed BT3 in my hard drive, bt works fine but the screen is very blurry, i messed around with Xorg and find a driver patch: "radeonhd-1.2.0.tar.gz" downloaded it and suppose to cp it to BT3/Modules but i can't find it in my hard drive. And i'm a noob linux so could someone give me a detail and easy way to install them? my installed partition is sda6. i use IFS.ext2 to browse and share file with vista.
    thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by katshuya2003 View Post
    I have a radeonHD video card and i installed BT3 in my hard drive, bt works fine but the screen is very blurry, i messed around with Xorg and find a driver patch: "radeonhd-1.2.0.tar.gz" downloaded it and suppose to cp it to BT3/Modules but i can't find it in my hard drive. And i'm a noob linux so could someone give me a detail and easy way to install them? my installed partition is sda6. i use IFS.ext2 to browse and share file with vista.
    thank you very much
    A tar.gz file is generally a Linux source package... not a slax module.

A slax module is either .lzm or .mo. A slax package is .tgz.

You would have to extract the tar.gz file and then read the INSTALL file within the extracted folder for installation instructions.

Normally

./configure
    make
    make install

However this can be a problem if you don't have the necessary compilers and/or libraries installed.

Ideally it would be better for you, being new to linux, to find a slax package. I would however assume that the drivers for your card are already available in BT3.

Possibly all that is required is some minor tweaking of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Edit: I've just taken a quick look... and it doesn't look like there is a slackware package or module available on the internet... but I could be wrong.

If BT3 doesn't have that driver already... then you will have to compile that source package that you downloaded.
    [FONT=Courier New][SIZE=2][FONT=Courier New]hehe...
    [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

thank you very much
    I may be reading this wrong, but it sounds as though you are attempting to install the driver via Vista. The file is a linux tar.gz which means you will have use terminal to unarchive it via
    Code:
    tar -xvzf radeonhd-1.2.0.tar.gz /
    then switch to the directory you just created and, as .lonewolf said

Code:
    ./configure
    make
    make install

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

And i'm a noob linux so could someone give me a detail and easy way to install them? .
    thank you very much
    Because I know that you want to read/learn here is a tutorial that once read will save you lots of trouble on installing software in *nix.
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-B...g-HOWTO-1.html

This shows examples in the how to and will give you information on why something is happening as well when it comes to installing software.
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.