Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: all filtered ports, now what?

linuxbeast

Default all filtered ports, now what?

I am doing an experiment with my computers, networks, and virtual machines. Right now, when I scan I get the response, all ports are filtered. I'm attacking a xp machine and linksys router for this experiment. That's when using -PN with nmap. Once upon a time ago, I saw an attack against the computer I was in front of make several repeated attacks very fast in a row bring down the the software firewall. That software was alerting me continuously until it crashed. Tell me, what DOS attacks still work today? I've read online about them, but they are too vague. They aren't telling specifically how to do it but rather how it works, and they very well may be patched against today. Thanks.

Good friend of the forums

try to hack rootme.rmccurdy.com you will learn a lot

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by linuxbeast View Post
    My friend and I are doing an experiment. With his computer and my computer, we are seeing what we can do over the internet. Right now, I scan his computer and get the response, all ports are filtered. He's using xp for this experiment. That's when using -PN with nmap. Once upon a time ago, I saw an attack against the computer I was in front of make several repeated attacks very fast in a row bring down the the software firewall. That software was alerting me continuously until it crashed. Tell me, what DOS attacks still work today? I've read online about them, but they are too vague. They aren't telling specifically how to do it but rather how it works, and they very well may be patched against today. Thanks.
    Before you go haxoring away might wanna consider that even though if your friend gave you permission to scan his computer it might still be against the TOS/AUP of your ISP.
    Might wanna have a look around here and on the interwub about nmap there is tons of info on this tool.
    Most DOS attacks do not work today because of patches etc.
    The reason you are not finding specific info about "dosing" is that most people are not going to tell you how to potentially break the law!
    If there is an example of how something works then it may be one of two things 1 proof of concept (poc) 2 it is patched and most people no how to mitigate against said attacks.

Keep searching and learning and you will find the answers
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

linuxbeast

In that case, I've got two LAN networks at home, and I can run DOS attacks on a router and computers on my LAN, not to mention virtual machines without violating any rules/laws and without even having an inet connection. Nothing will ever make it to my ISP.

They aren't telling specifically how to do it but rather how it works
    Ya because the world needs 1000s of idiots running around exploiting things they don't understand. There is no big red magic "H4x0r 1t n0wz" button.
    That software was alerting me continuously until it crashed.
    Hmmmm there software crashed, therefore is was no longer providing service.
    Tell me, what DOS attacks still work today?
    See previous quote.
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.

Just burned his ISO lock_n_loll's Avatar

Ask your ISP first "can i Ddos ing my friend comp over internet?"
    Damn Am I Late ?
    Mitsubishi AMITY XP P166 MMX 32M HD 6 GB Linksys WPC11 v4 FreeBSD 7.0 + BT2

linuxbeast

Quote Originally Posted by lock_n_loll View Post
    No, I won't be DOSing over the inet. They don't tell the truth anyways last time I spoke to them about server ports being blocked. One guy was cool. He said he used to do Gentoo installs.

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lock_n_loll View Post
    Might wanna check out the difference between a DDoS and a DoS.

You wouldn't need to call anyone you just need to read your ISP's Terms of Service. Yea I know reading...

If I'm not mistaken your upstream has to be greater than or equal to your targets downstream if your planning on doing an old fashioned DoS attack. There are several exploits that create a DoS effect though you might want to check out milw0rm for some of them.

Getting to know your targets firewall would be my first step in finding a vulnerability. Try a few different nmap scans, hell try all of them! Firewalk is another good program from what I hear. Once you know the firewall and its workarounds everything else will pretty much proceed as normal. I also don't see why a software firewall couldn't be exploited just the same as any other listening service. Banner grab and try to exploit it. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by thorin View Post
    ....There is no big red magic "H4x0r 1t n0wz" button....
    Not true, SV's EZ-PAWN has just that very thing

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

linuxbeast

Okay, I'm just wondering what kind of success you guys have had and if your connection requires a lot of bandwidth to perform these. I have FIOS but my ISP still limits it some. Ive got 1.2 mb/s download speed max on certain servers. What I want to know is can these things take down/crash routers, or will they only disable the net connection of the user.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast