Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turned Windows Firewall off, now what?

Default Turned Windows Firewall off, now what?

I have two lappies running. One with a BackTrack HD install and one with XP SP2. I ran autopwn on the XP machine from the BT laptop using FastTrack and all ports were closed. So I went and shut the Windows Firewall on the XP machine. When I ran autopwn again, I had the regular 5 ports open. (netbios, 80, and some others). Here's my silly question. If the firewall is off shouldn't all the ports be open. Yes, I am a newbie to this. From what I understand, I need programs running on the ports to be able to enter them. Does that mean that if nothing is running, the firewall is unnecessary, or is there a way to use unprotected ports without something running on them. Just a newbie taking baby steps here.

These are two books you should read before you start using BT

Gray-Hat-Hacking-Ethical-Handbook:

http://www.amazon.com/Gray-Hat-Hacki.../dp/0072257091

Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit, Volume 2 (Paperback):

http://www.amazon.com/Penetration-Te.../dp/1597492132

Good friend of the forums

nmap will report OPEN FILTERD or CLOSED and maybe some other's I cant member
    OPEN = a service is listing
    FILTERED = means its prob a firewall or portforward etc ( may be a service running on it may not .. )
    CLOSED = the port is CLOSE

now there things like frageroute and fragrouter etc to test firewalls and nmap -sS (SYN scan etc ) to find services

see my signature 'Own fully patched XP' not about just open ports its everything

Quote Originally Posted by abitaz View Post
    I have two lappies running. One with a BackTrack HD install and one with XP SP2. I ran autopwn on the XP machine from the BT laptop using FastTrack and all ports were closed. So I went and shut the Windows Firewall on the XP machine. When I ran autopwn again, I had the regular 5 ports open. (netbios, 80, and some others). Here's my silly question. If the firewall is off shouldn't all the ports be open. Yes, I am a newbie to this. From what I understand, I need programs running on the ports to be able to enter them. Does that mean that if nothing is running, the firewall is unnecessary, or is there a way to use unprotected ports without something running on them. Just a newbie taking baby steps here.

No offense meant, but you shouldn't use autopwn.
    As read from your post you are missing the basics needed.

Pentesting is not a matter of just firing up autopwn and hope that it will succeed

You should start with network basics, how ports are working and so on.

Learn about ports and firewalls, network protocols, Linux, how exploits work, how to port them and so on.

Use Autopwn from Fast-Track only if you know, what's going on and if you could reproduce it manually, else you won't learn or have any benefit and to be honest you shouldn't use it.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Developer

Abitaz, I understand what you mean and i have thought the same thing many years ago. You may benefit greatly from reading a few books. I know its dull but reading good old fashioned books is how I learned.

Start with something like this

Then move into this

And finally this

I'm not just making this up either. I own and have read all 3 of those books. The one on fuzzing is extremely well done. I know you may be looking for a quick and easy answer but until you understand the basics of protocols and ports it will be hard to give one.

Purehate, I take that as a good lesson from my mentor. I admire your knowledge and respect your opinion. Thank you for teaching me. I will look into getting those books. The TCP one is probably available in the library, but for some reason I have my doubts about the other ones. I love learning and I sometimes get ahead of myself. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    Abitaz, I understand what you mean and i have thought the same thing many years ago. You may benefit greatly from reading a few books. I know its dull but reading good old fashioned books is how I learned.

Then move into this

And finally this

I'm not just making this up either. I own and have read all 3 of those books. The one on fuzzing is extremely well done. I know you may be looking for a quick and easy answer but until you understand the basics of protocols and ports it will be hard to give one.

Then move into this

And finally this

some good reading there indeed (you selling any of them)

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

This Sams book is an excellent read probably one of the best on the subject imo.
    There are several others thread here Abitaz about good books.
    Here is one thread with a boat load of books. However it will be up to you and your budget on which ones to get.
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11801
    To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Talking about budget, do you know if SAMS TCP/IP Networking in 21 Days would be comparable. My library system only carries that one, and a penny saved is a penny learned

[QUOTE=archangel.amael;76524]

This Sams book is an excellent read probably one of the best on the subject imo.
    There are several others thread here Abitaz about good books.
    Here is one thread with a boat load of books. However it will be up to you and your budget on which ones to get.
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=11801

Super Moderator Archangel-Amael's Avatar

Talking about budget, do you know if SAMS TCP/IP Networking in 21 Days would be comparable. My library system only carries that one, and a penny saved is a penny learned
    Not sure but one could look and see the reviews if available at amazon.

Here is the "21 days" version:
    21days

Looks like its about 752 pages.

To be successful here you should read all of the following.
    ForumRules
    ForumFAQ
    If you are new to Back|Track
    Back|Track Wiki
    Failure to do so will probably get your threads deleted or worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast