Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a program...

Very good friend of the forum hhmatt's Avatar

Cool video!

Are you sure you need a dirty version of dsplit though? The one in the video looks clean.

Now I wonder if this could possibly be applicable to real virus's to make them undetectable?!?

I should fix my screensaver I have since it shows up dirty but I wrote the code myself and I know its not.

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Cool video!

Are you sure you need a dirty version of dsplit though? The one in the video looks clean.

Now I wonder if this could possibly be applicable to real virus's to make them undetectable?!?

I should fix my screensaver I have since it shows up dirty but I wrote the code myself and I know its not.
    The program itself is not "dirty". AVs simply detect it has a "hacktool" because it could be used for malicious purposes. Most AVs will do the same with Netcat. They call it a "hacktool" but it's harmless in and of itself.

Your premise is exactly what the video was about.

muts gave a presentation at Shmoocon that accomplished the same thing albeit by different means. You can find that video here.
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Yes, there are many ways to achieve similar results - and most, if not all, applicable tools would be flagged by most modern day AV software..... It's all part of the "dumbed-down" user experience everyone expects and enjoys with their PC's these days!

As a side-note, I remember some years back an interesting tool which worked "both ways" called Armadillo. Anyone still use that?

Quote Originally Posted by theprez98 View Post
    The program itself is not "dirty". AVs simply detect it has a "hacktool" because it could be used for malicious purposes. Most AVs will do the same with Netcat. They call it a "hacktool" but it's harmless in and of itself.

Your premise is exactly what the video was about.

muts gave a presentation at Shmoocon that accomplished the same thing albeit by different means. You can find that video here.
    Gotta love muts! Great presentation!

Is there a video that shows this a little clearer? Its hard to make out some of the assembly code he uses.

Where did he get the 1000 byte buffer?

Quote Originally Posted by hhmatt81 View Post
    Gotta love muts! Great presentation!

Is there a video that shows this a little clearer? Its hard to make out some of the assembly code he uses.

Where did he get the 1000 byte buffer?
    I think that it will be featured in the Backtrack2Max course.

Really looking forward to it.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    I think that it will be featured in the Backtrack2Max course.

Really looking forward to it.
    Are you sure? He used vista throughout the entire presentation.

Just burned his ISO

I got the same thing, scanned it and it went crazy. Gonna redownload it in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by theunspoken View Post
    I got the same thing, scanned it and it went crazy. Gonna redownload it in a bit.
    If you are going to raise a thread this old from the grave you should at least have something with a bit more substance to add to the conversation....
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12