Thread: Test Server?

Just burned his ISO

Default Test Server?

Hello Everyone,
    There is something I want to know:
    I just want to test penetrating, but I don't want to do anything illegal.
    Is there any kinda test server or whatever that I can try on?
    Or can I just make a normal windows machine being a test-machine to be able to get into it?
    I want to get into the functions of Metasploit and neXpose.

PS.: Sorry for my bad english....

Default Re: Test Server?

Some example systems for trying out pen testing skillz are the de-ice.net CDs, Damn Vulnerable Linux, the target machines in the Metasploit Unleashed course and the vulnerable web applications listed on the IronGeek site. I'll let you Google those to find the links.
    Capitalisation is important. It's the difference between "Helping your brother Jack off a horse" and "Helping your brother jack off a horse".

The Forum Rules, Forum FAQ and the BackTrack Wiki... learn them, love them, live them.

Just burned his ISO

This is a good Idea, but I had to change ma home netwok for that. Cause it uses no DHCP and another Range as well as SubnetMask.
    And I do not want to change it, cause there are oter people working with it now.
    Other possibilities?

Quote Originally Posted by gn0xter View Post
    This is a good Idea, but I had to change ma home netwok for that. Cause it uses no DHCP and another Range as well as SubnetMask.
    And I do not want to change it, cause there are oter people working with it now.
    Other possibilities?
    Everything lupin said can be done in a virtual setting on your own machine. Take a look at VMPlayer.

lupin is absolutely right with his suggestions. Personally, I prefer Virtualbox for all my "little extras". It's free. It's fast. It's highly customizable for resources that you have on hand.

For example, if I have to do something quickly, I run BT4 in Virtualbox with my USB Alfa AWUS036H plugged in and routed through to BT4, and don't have to reboot to my HDD installed BT4. It's also worth mentioning that you don't have to have 'spare boxes' laying around... if you do have some spares, I recommend you get a copy of SmoothWall Express if you haven't already.

Also, it should be mentioned that with software like VMware and Virtualbox, you can create a private network between those virtual computers - which, if you don't have a firewall, will save your a$$, especially if you're running something like DVL on an open network.
    thou shalt treat all computers as thou wouldst treat thyself, for thou art the creator of thine own problems.

To add to Lupin's list, a few others worth looking at are: Foundstone "Hacme" series, pWnOS 1.0, WebGoat