Thread: The best USB card to get?

Just burned his ISO

Question The best USB card to get?

I am looking for a good USB Wireless Adapter to use with BackTrack 3. I am looking for something that has a moderate range, and can perform attacks on both WEP and WPA. I wonder what is the best card for me to get. I went to this page ~SEE LINK 1~ and it says that I should get the ALFA 500mw USB Adapter, yet when I go to this page that states supported adapters ~SEE LINK 2~ it fails to show up. This leaves me confused as to if it will work or not. Also, I saw that the Hawking HWUG1 is supported, and I wondered if this is a good deal with the hawking antenna ~SEE LINK 3~ Overall, I am just trying to find the best USB Adapter compatible with BackTrack. Thanks in advance for the help :-)

P.S. To find the links posted above go to
    h t t p : / / p a s t e b i n . c a / 1 2 9 7 5 1 8
    ... I wasn't allowed to put in "URLs" because I just registered for these forums. Thanks!

Just burned his ISO

Hi There,

I had the same issue as you - so I explain here what I did. First of all go to remote-exploit Wiki -> HCL -> Wireless and read carefully through it.

There are 2 problems:
    1. latest WiFi cards available in shops in my area are not on the mentioned list.
    2. if you check on ebay (or local Polish auction site equivalent in my case) - descriptions on the web give you general type information without detailed chipset information.

what I did is I printed out the list above and went to "computer parts flee market" which takes place every week in my area.
    finally I have chosen edimax wifi card with chipset ralink EW-7318USG that can be handled by rt73 driver under backtrack.
    it runs perfectly including monitor mode and packet injection.

it has two further advantages:
    1. it has antenna connector so you can buy separatelyand connect long 12dbi antenna.
    2. it is USB device so it runs also in VMWare backtrack under windows. (not using this mode too often but still it gives you some flexibility)

Best,
    Nelis

the Hawking usb nic works fine this is what I use on my desktop computer there is just a small workaround for the rt73 drivers to put it into monitor mode and make it able to inject which you can find in these forums here
    Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Just burned his ISO

Anf if you do a search for Secure_it's tutorial about upgrading the driver to the latest larbig driver that particular NIC is even better

Just burned his ISO

This still leaves me confused as to which one to get. I am deeply considering in taking BackTracks course, "BackTrack WiFu", and they recommend one, but as you said I might have to do some driver stuff to go with that. Keep in mind that when not practicing with backtrack and cracking into networks, I might be using this card with my Windows XP, as nearly anything is an upgrade from my current PCI card :X

thanks for mentioning that lemmy that slipped my mind
    Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Just burned his ISO

but as you said I might have to do some driver stuff to go with that
    Surely not a problem? The tutorial is concise and very clear.
    Keep in mind that when not practicing with backtrack and cracking into networks, I might be using this card with my Windows XP
    Still not an issue. The drivers are installed to the OS and loaded at boot. They are not installed to the NIC. Therefore if you wish to dual-boot or use BT3 as a live OS there will not be a problem.