Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VMware 6.5 Workstation & Host HardDisks (media)

Default VMware 6.5 Workstation & Host HardDisks (media)

By reading forum's treads and by solving many problems one by one. I've finally managed to install VMware Tools, to run Backtrack 3 under Windows XP.

But there is still one big problem I couldn't solve and couldn't find in the forum.

When I was using BT3 USB version my NTFS harddisks and computer's DVD Drives were completely seen by the backtrack and they were open to read and write.

But now in the Konqueror/Storage Media window there are only two (virtual) harddisks are shown. And the ways I can find for file transfer between two systems are
    1)drag and drop and
    2)shared folders can be found at /mnt/hgfs

Is there a way to see my entire NTSF partitions directly -like in the way booting from USB stick version of BT3
    OR are they the only ways I can use because of the limitation of VMware in this point?

Developer

mount the drive manually or ad it to your /etc/fstab file

That was the problem, there were no harddisks to mount in /dev. But after writing this message I've tried another thing and it worked. I've added new harddisks to Virtual Machine Settings as new hardware and choosed "the entire physical drive" option.
    Now all partitions are seen in Konqueror/Storage Media window. But unfortunately it gives

A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface “org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume” member “Mount” error name “(unset)” destination “org.freedesktop.Hal”)

error everytime I reboot.

If I mount manually one by one it gives up giving that error and inside of the media becomes accessable. But it repeats the same situation in next boot again? What should I do?

Developer

add your self to the plugdev group

How can I add myself. I looked at /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf and I am using BT as root.

there is

Code:
      <policy user="root">
        <allow own="org.freedesktop.Hal"/>
      </policy>
    at the upper side of the code and

Code:
    <policy group="plugdev">
        <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume"/>
        <allow send_interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Crypto"/>
          </policy>
    at the bottom.

I don't know what to do after this point?

It drives me crazy. I read tons of documents to solve this problem but the result is NOTHING until now.

First I tried purehate's comment. (I think adding myself to plugdev can be done by adding "root" to /etc/group)

I tried to write "CONSOLE_GROUPS floppy:audio:video:cdrom: plugdev" in /etc/login.defs

I tried to add
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs-3g auto,noatime,users,suid,dev,exec,locale= 0 0 # AutoUpdate
    in /etc/fstab
    (This worked partially. Only some patitions can be seen, but Read-Only)

I tried third party solutions like ntfs-3g (1.5130), ivman (0.6.14) , pmount (0.9.16) .

NO ONE WORKED! If any other help will not come from forum users, I will officially give up trying to solve this Because that's all I can do.

by the way error message changes to "Cannot obtain lock on /media/.hal-mt" from "A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message..."

I'm not really sure what the problem you're having is except your that your NTFS host partitions are being mounted to /mnt/hgfs/whatever instead of /mnt/hda1 (or something like that).

Using VM WS 6.5, I created shared folders to my "E: drive" partition using the VM wizard capability, booted into my BT3 vm and the entire NTFS partition (E showed up as /mnt/hgfs/E.

I was able to read to and write to that partition without any problems.

Just for the heck of it, since you seemed to want a more direct path to the partition, I created a soft link from /mnt/hgfs/E to /mnt/hda1. cd'd to /mnt/hda1 and there was all the files from the (E partition.

You have access to the partition, to read and write files from...what else am I missing?

If it is not possible to see partitions in /:media it is okay then I will choose to use sharing in hgfs.

But I don't know is it possible to use this version of BT like USB version, and no one said it is not possible . So tried a lot to make it like USB version.

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    I created a soft link from /mnt/hgfs/E to /mnt/hda1. cd'd to /mnt/hda1 and there was all the files from the (E partition.
    But it seems it is not possible. So can you give the details about in which way you created a soft link from /mnt/hgfs/E to /mnt/hda1. cd'd to /mnt/hda1?

Quote Originally Posted by damlayss View Post
    But it seems it is not possible. So can you give the details about in which way you created a soft link from /mnt/hgfs/E to /mnt/hda1. cd'd to /mnt/hda1?
    ln -s /mnt/hgfs/E /mnt/<something>

If you prefer your mount points in /media, then use /media/<something> instead of /mnt/<something> as your destination mount point.

The fundamental problem here is that you are trying to share the same physical disk between two operating systems at the same time, i.e. the host AND BT3 within the VM.

I have a custom dual boot system which allowed me to run the alternate in a VM, ie. Xubuntu VM with a Windows host or Windows VM with an Xubuntu host.

However, both VMs use a single physical partition which is NOT in use by the host. ie.

P1 = 10GB NTFS, Windows XP
    P2 = 5GB ext3, Xubuntu
    P3 = 97GB NTFS, Data

I could add the Data partition to the Windows VM as a separate vDisk but that would prevent me from accessing it natively from Xubuntu and as that is where my virtual machines are stored...
    First Rule of Holes: When you're in one - Stop Digging!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast