Thread: Should I be worried about Commview ??

Just burned his ISO HighPointSecurity's Avatar

Default Should I be worried about Commview ??

First of all. Yes I did a search of threads about Commview for WiFi, and I must say I was amused and relieved to see that most of them were in the newbie or idiots corner forums

Here is my question: I gave Commview a test drive and was appalled at how easy it was to use! It seems that almost any dummy can use it (Idiots and newbies aside!) Since it requires no special knowledge of Linux or pentesting to use I am wondering how much of a threat your members see it as.

Highpoint Security is in the Electronic / IT security business ...

Thanks ...
    "Better a lie they can believe, than a truth they can't." George Smiley

Quote Originally Posted by HighPointSecurity View Post
    Since it requires no special knowledge of Linux or pentesting to use I am wondering how much of a threat your members see it as.
    Never used it myself since there are free linux tools that do the same thing. That being said, I don't see it as much of a threat.

Look at it this way: Who am I worried about from a wireless security standpoint?

a) A Skiddie
    b) A Professional

If the answer is (A), I don't see some skiddie shelling out $500 for software.
    If the answer is (B), then the Pro already knows how to crack/hack my network without shelling out $500 for a piece of Windows based, proprietary, closed-source software.

This program seems to me to target sys/network admins who don't know anything about wireless security (or linux) who have some requirement to look at their wireless network and/or whose company doesn't want to pay for a wireless security professional.

Just my .2 cents...

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post

If the answer is (A), I don't see some skiddie shelling out $500 for software.
    If the answer is (B), then the Pro already knows how to crack/hack my network without shelling out $500 for a piece of Windows based, proprietary, closed-source software.

This program seems to me to target sys/network admins who don't know anything about wireless security (or linux) who have some requirement to look at their wireless network and/or whose company doesn't want to pay for a wireless security professional.

Just my .2 cents...
    While I do agree with your points, I'd just like to point out that many corporations require their IT staff to use certain pieces of software for certain compliance measures. While I do support the OSS platform, I can see why people would pay for it because they have to.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    While I do agree with your points, I'd just like to point out that many corporations require their IT staff to use certain pieces of software for certain compliance measures. While I do support the OSS platform, I can see why people would pay for it because they have to.
    Good point Streaker...I forgot about the hell of commercial software purchasing...been a few years since I had to go through all of that.

Just burned his ISO HighPointSecurity's Avatar

Yeah well um as for the skiddies ...

************************************************** ************************************************
    "Better a lie they can believe, than a truth they can't." George Smiley