Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: little problem with airodump and eeepc 901+madwifi driver

Just burned his ISO

Default little problem with airodump and eeepc 901+madwifi driver

Hi there

I want to find my wlan using airodump.
    I do it like this:

airmon-ng start ra0 (seems to work perfekt)

airodump-ng ra0 (but I can't find it) I thougth that I did something wrong, so I used the wireless assistant to search for my wlan. Didn't work.
    Now I stopped the monitoring mode:

airomon-ng stop ra0 (seems to work perfekt too)

After this I can find my (and a few other) wlan(s) using the wireless assistant. But I still can't find it (or anything else) using airodump.

So I went to a friend of my how is also using bt3 to get a little help. I tried to find his wlan the same way I tried it at home and it worked perfekt.

Back home I still can't find a wlan (very good signal strength) using airodump. But I can find it (and a few other wlans) using the wireless assistant.

Can someone tell my why I can't find my wlan using airodump while I can find it using the wireless assistand. And why does it work perfektly with my friends wlan ? Both are hidden.

Would be great if someone could help me.

Try manually switching the device to monitor mode such as: ifconfig ra0 up && iwconfig ra0 mode monitor && airodump-ng ra0. Check to see if theres any extra interface added in iwconfig, which maybe is the solution.

Does your friend have exactly the same laptop as yours? even down to the wireless chipset itself?

Just burned his ISO

First, thanks for your help. But it didn't work with:

ifconfig ra0 up
    iwconfig ra0 mode monitor
    airodump-ng ra0

I still can't finde something here.

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    Check to see if theres any extra interface added in iwconfig, which maybe is the solution.
    How can I check if there is any extra interface added in iwconfig? (I don't know much about linux until now)

Quote Originally Posted by hatake_kakashi View Post
    Does your friend have exactly the same laptop as yours? even down to the wireless chipset itself?
    No my friend is using a differend notebook. But I visited him with my eeepc901 used:

airmon-ng start ra0
    airodump-ng ra0

and found his network in a few seconds.
    I also installed another wlan for my mum (hidden) which I can also find without any problems. It only doesn't work with my own wlan which makes me crazy.

Oh there is one new thing. If I reboot, (I'm using persistent changes, maybe this isnecessary) just logon as root und type:

airodump-ng ra0

it starts and I get an error message after a few seconds but it's gone to fast so I can't read it. After this in the upper right corner of the screen is a "hint" which says:

ra0 reset to monitor mode

and a few seconds later I find one wlan. But if I search using the wireless assistant I can find three wlans. And I have to stop the monitormode first. And when I start it again I can't finde something using airodump-ng. I'm totally confused.

Maybe someone can guide me step by step to see whats wrong?

[EDIT : I found out that airodump-ng ra0 works fine if I use airmon-ng ra0 twice which is also confusing because after the first airmon-ng ra0, iwconfig ra0 says that the monitormode is on. So why do I have to use airmon-ng ra0 twice. And why does it take minutes to find all wlans. And why do I have this problem only at home ?] Please excuse the bad english.

iwconfig is a program that runs under linux CLI, like ifconfig, dmesg, and all. It would be ideal if you familiarise yourself with such commands as they may help you alot in the long run rather than depending on GUI.

I am not too sure the exact reasons why you need to run airomon-ng twice but dmesg may show some information as to why.

If it takes matter of minutes to find more wlans, there could be many issues. One is because of poor antenna used or lack thereof, antennas boost the signal strength and quality of wireless performance. The other is with wireless routers, they don't always broadcast every one second, first it will cause massive flooding on the radio network which nobody really likes and the other, it will cause too much attention. So manufacturers of mainly routers and AP may vary the timing of SSID broadcast as such. Be patient

Just burned his ISO

Thanks a lot. I will try to learn more basics
    And I will look for a little nice antenna for my eeepc. Hope it is possible to attach an antenna per usb.

Is it possible to finde someone how can speak/write german and would like to help me with a few issues I can't find in this forum or with google. Would be cool if someone could help me per mail or ICQ.

Just burned his ISO

Ok I "solved" the problem by myself. The EEEPC901 12G, sold in germany, which I'm using, includes a "AzureWave Model: RT2700E" Mini PCIe wifi card wich not seems to be supported by BT3. I could not install the madwifi driver like I thought. airmon-ng still shows a differend driver. The driver wich is used is instable and the card does not support Injection. That's the reason why I have to use airmon-ng start ra0 a few times until I can find APs.

Now I'm searching for the best Mini PCIe wifi card I can by to use it with BT3. But I think therefor I will open an new theard.

I thought about a Gigabyte GN-WS50G b/g which seems to support everything I need

Quote Originally Posted by Unit1 View Post
    Ok I "solved" the problem by myself. The EEEPC901 8G, sold in germany, which I'm using, includes a "AzureWave Model: RT2700E" Mini PCIe wifi card wich not seems to be supported by BT3. I could not install the madwifi driver like I thought. airmon-ng still shows a differend driver.
    This is a Ralink, not Atheros, based chipset which is why madwifi does not support it. As far as I remember there are no drivers out there that will enable injection support for this chipset, which means that, as you say, getting a supported USB or mini PCI Express card will be your best choice.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    ... which means that, as you say, getting a supported USB or mini PCI Express card will be your best choice.
    And which Mini PCIe wifi card would you suggest me to buy? Like I said here

hxxp://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=19034

I'm thinking about buying a Gigabyte GN-WS50G b/g. Good choice? What would you suggest?

Just burned his ISO

my suggestion is usb dev also. put in your pocket and you can use it wherever you like

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by jorgan View Post
    my suggestion is usb dev also. put in your pocket and you can use it wherever you like

But I like the extreme mobility of the eeepc901 and don't want to use any extra hardware. So I prefere a Mini PCIe wifi card

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast