Thread: USB Boot Issue

xNIAx1

Default USB Boot Issue

Okay, so yes I am new to the OS but I catch on quick enough to get by. I am just having a small issue booting from my USB drive. Once I restart windows and then boot from the USB Drive I goto a screen that starts spamming with commands. But a few seconds after that the screen goes black and the only way to get past it is if I hit my power button on my laptop here. Then I will get to the the part where I attempt to startup the OS and the comp freezes. Anyone got any idea whats going on? Thanks in advance.

Is this your first time with Linux?

Which option did you choose from the boot menu?

Hi xNIAx1, maby you can give us some more information? PC Specs etc?

Did you try the CD version of backtrack? If that version works, there could be something wrong with your USB drive/stick?

xNIAx1

Yea I tried the CD version but it does the same thing. It will load to the menu then I select KDE (every option i have to choose from does the same thing) after hitting enter on a option the screen turns black. I'm thinking ok let it load, 15 minutes later I hit the power button and it goes to the BT3 driver loading screen and gets stuck on Floopy Drive(s) fd0. by the way, im booting from a DVD disc, ive tested on my desktop and it works fine everything loads. but on my HP pavilion dv2149se, no worky.

xNIAx1

anyone have any idea whats going on? please O_o

After you copied over the BT3 distro to the usb stick, did you write to the MBR of the stick?

....on re-reading your post, it appears the stick is starting to boot. What is the last message that you see before things lock up?

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsnpr View Post
    After you copied over the BT3 distro to the usb stick, did you write to the MBR of the stick?

....on re-reading your post, it appears the stick is starting to boot. What is the last message that you see before things lock up?
    Hate to quote myself, but I used the search button and found this:
    http://forums.remote-exploit.org/sho...+laptop+freeze

Has a couple of tricks to try that may work for you.

Good Luck...