Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a little guidance

Default I need a little guidance with wep cracking and further

Hello all,
    I'm a little new here and well ive used this place for quite a few tutorials and such and Ive learned nmap kismet and a few other things but i need someone to help me put it all together see i'm doing a project for school on network security and I need to learn how to break into a computer and leave a text file such as vulnerable or something of the sort i was planing on using either xp or server 2003 i'm pretty noobish at this so please bear with me if i don't know some things well that's my story please post if you can help in any way i'm very grateful to any help.

No, they have been a few of these recently about hacking being taught in schools and tutors letting students lose on the school/college network. I doubt that the admins have let them do it.
    Besides, your effectivily cheating, research by yourself.

So I'm reading this and asking myself, "What kind of answer would benefit you most?" My initial answer would be something like, "How about more than one period in that paragraph?" After all, that's "a little guidance."

But then I sound like a grumpy ole troll. I mean, is it too much to ask someone to construct a coherent sentence? Really? Does that make me a troll? Perhaps if I help him/her first and then slap them with the "coherent sentence" comment later? I dunno.

I understand what this person wants. I get it. I've been there. But, much as a parent is with their children, I also understand the value of hard work and would rather encourage him/her to figure it out on their own. Again, troll?

I'll ask you ole timers what should be done in a case like this. Ignore the post? Help the person and provide constructive criticism? Slap 'em with some troll action? Any other ideas?

I think I'll go with my second option:

irongeek.com

http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=873

dragracekid,

In the future, it would be who of you to put a little more time into constructing your questions coherently. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum that is much better gained via a little more work on your part. Ask specific questions. Give results to things you've tried. Show us you've done something on your own to advance your progress.

Perhaps an analogy would suffice:

Imagine you're fishing. What is your end goal? To catch fish? What kind of fish? What could you use to catch those fish?

Your original post was analogous to throwing out some fishing line with no hook or bait attached. Simply put, you're not going to catch any fish....only trolls who really like to tug at fishing line

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by dragracekid View Post
    Hello all,
    I'm a little new here and well ive used this place for quite a few tutorials and such and Ive learned nmap kismet and a few other things but i need someone to help me put it all together see i'm doing a project for school on network security and I need to learn how to break into a computer and leave a text file such as vulnerable or something of the sort i was planing on using either xp or server 2003 i'm pretty noobish at this so please bear with me if i don't know some things well that's my story please post if you can help in any way i'm very grateful to any help.
    Lesson #1:

Learn how to do your own research.

Lesson #2:

Apply that research to accomplish your goals

Lesson #3:

Write a good report including good grammar and spelling.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Hello all,
    Riiiight! I truly believe this is yet another school project. Gee, it must be the 15th one this month! There sure are a lot of studious kids out there these days!

If you are serious (doubtful, but I'm feeling mellow this morning), go to De-ICE and grab the Level 1 ISO. Used in combination with BT3 on a closed LAN, it will give you a computer you can break into without causing damage to yourself of others. Then, start searching these forums and reading.

In the meantime, you might want to forget the school project and take the Remedial English course. You apparently missed the lessons on sentence structure and punctuation.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

This here is a homework forum now.............
    Don't eat yellow snow :rolleyes:

Thanks for the fast responses, but just to clear some things up. Yes I know my spelling and grammar suck its been pointed out all my life. I don't really know how it would be cheating if i'm asking for help not for someone to do my project for me. Finally i was very tired last night so that's part of the grammar problem but again thank you for the help i will start there and work my way around. Only 6 more months until I have a 2 hour presentation on this so i'm a little nervous.

Only 6 more months until I have a 2 hour presentation on this so i'm a little nervous.
    Probably should have started out with networking 101 and worked you way up. 6 months is plenty of time to figure out how to break into an unpatched windows machine.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Thanks for the fast responses, but just to clear some things up. Yes I know my spelling and grammar suck its been pointed out all my life. I don't really know how it would be cheating if i'm asking for help not for someone to do my project for me. Finally i was very tired last night so that's part of the grammar problem but again thank you for the help i will start there and work my way around. Only 6 more months until I have a 2 hour presentation on this so i'm a little nervous.
    Hmmm... Six months? Maybe you are serious. If so, I wasn't kidding about the De-ICE Level 1 disk. Info is here: http://heorot.net/livecds/
    Forum sign-up and ISO downloads are here: http://forums.heorot.net/
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Hmmm... Six months? Maybe you are serious. If so, I wasn't kidding about the De-ICE Level 1 disk. Info is here:
    Forum sign-up and ISO downloads are here
    Yeah I am looking it up and downloading it now. Thank you again for helping me out means a lot. Also i am serious its a senior project and we pick what we want to do it on.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast