Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CEH training + linux programming - questions

Default CEH training + linux programming - questions

Didn't know where this would be relevant so I'm posting here -

is the Certified Ethical Hacking series any good? I'm trying to take a self-informative approach to pentesting and I'm wondering what resources would be best to start.

My goals is to learn enough to write my own pentesting OS for the open pandora - www.openpandora.org - so basically i would like recomendations for resources, books etc... that would help me do this.
    Getting Airpwn to work is ruining my life

Quote Originally Posted by relaxis View Post

is the Certified Ethical Hacking series any good? I'm trying to take a self-informative approach to pentesting and I'm wondering what resources would be best to start.

My goals is to learn enough to write my own pentesting OS for the open pandora - www.openpandora.org - so basically i would like recomendations for resources, books etc... that would help me do this.
    I've heard the subject matter is fair, but I know several pen testers who consider anyone with a CEH to be a joke. One went so fair as to tell me a CEH guarantees an automatic 'circular file' for any job applications he sees it on.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

It's a fairly basic series but good for those just starting out. The OffSec 101 course, however, is going to give you much more bang for your buck and you can trust that the information is coming from the right sources.

Just my 0.02p

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

I just looked at their curriculum and a few sample videos - seems like they don't teach anything anyone can't learn by themselves on this forum...

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

I just looked at their curriculum and a few sample videos - seems like they don't teach anything anyone can't learn by themselves on this forum...
    Isn't that pretty much true of any IT related subject? Most things can be learned without lining someone else's pockets.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

True, but one thing is having a video regurgitating forum posts and another is a video that has an in depth explanation in a university style lecture discourse. 800 dollars is a joke for these dvds, 800 dollars for 6 months of information, books resources and practical exercises bundled with software isn't.

Developer

True, but one thing is having a video regurgitating forum posts and another is a video that has an in depth explanation in a university style lecture discourse. 800 dollars is a joke for these dvds, 800 dollars for 6 months of information, books resources and practical exercises bundled with software isn't.
    The offsec 101 class is probably the most practical class around in my opinion. If you have any questions about it please feel free to come to #offsec on the freenode network and ask away. Ziplock and loganWHD will be happy to explain the ins and outs of the class. I do not know 1 person who took the 101 class and passed the final challenge who was disapointed or felt his money was not well spent.

True you can teach yourself most of the stuff covered in CEH courses. However, I think getting the certification would give your resume substance. Something that an employer can see as evidence of your knowledge. Don't you guys think it would be better to get the certifications instead of teaching yourself everything so that you could have evidence of your knowledge when applying?

Quote Originally Posted by drakoth777 View Post
    True you can teach yourself most of the stuff covered in CEH courses. However, I think getting the certification would give your resume substance. Something that an employer can see as evidence of your knowledge. Don't you guys think it would be better to get the certifications instead of teaching yourself everything so that you could have evidence of your knowledge when applying?
    It depends on the certification. Go back and read the second post to see what one friend of mine thinks of the CEH. In that case it would hurt.
    Thorn
    Stop the TSA now! Boycott the airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    I've heard the subject matter is fair, but I know several pen testers who consider anyone with a CEH to be a joke. One went so fair as to tell me a CEH guarantees an automatic 'circular file' for any job applications he sees it on.
    Hey, I'm pretty sure I know who that person is...

I think there is a subtle difference here as well. A person who goes out and gets the CEH on their own versus someone who got it because the company was/is paying for it and they want their employees to get it.

Whew, now I feel better!
    "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast