Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Thirst for knowledge

  1. #1
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default Thirst for knowledge

    Good day to all, I'm new to stuff's like BT penetration testing WEP cracking etc. though i have some experience in computer hardware and networking and suddenly i got bored with these stuff's and that's why i've decided to further study on stuff's like protecting my own wireless AP etc. but to know that i need to know first how to crack it right, well the problem is i really don't know where to start ^___^ so i was hoping you can help me guys any input will be greatly appreciated.

    Currently i have a Desktop in my room where do networking and domain stuff's also most of the time watching movies or playing games and i also just got a new Acer Aspire One, the one that comes with XP and 160GB HDD i got these netbook for this purpose Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member streaker69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA
    Posts
    3,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hyakutake View Post
    Good day to all, I'm new to stuff's like BT penetration testing WEP cracking etc. though i have some experience in computer hardware and networking and suddenly i got bored with these stuff's and that's why i've decided to further study on stuff's like protecting my own wireless AP etc. but to know that i need to know first how to crack it right, well the problem is i really don't know where to start ^___^ so i was hoping you can help me guys any input will be greatly appreciated.

    Currently i have a Desktop in my room where do networking and domain stuff's also most of the time watching movies or playing games and i also just got a new Acer Aspire One, the one that comes with XP and 160GB HDD i got these netbook for this purpose Thanks in advance.
    I'm just curious as to why many seem to think that statement is true?

    Want to know how to secure your Wireles network without needing to crack it?

    Use WPA2 AES with a strong passphrase. There now you know, and you don't need to be bothered with learning to crack it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    30

    Default

    i was going to post today something simular to this. (even though there about 4 alreday which is why im guessin knowbody has posted back to this yet)

    Ive read alot of the fourms on here and working through the programs ive come accross,

    My advise to you hyakuake would be to real seach the fourms, read through etc etc, which is what most people will tell you.

    Me personally, i started with the whole WEP crack thing, quickly made me move to WPA, i then moved onto reading up on WPA cracking etc

    other things u mite want to look into

    Ettercap
    Nmap

  4. #4
    Just burned his ISO
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I'm just curious as to why many seem to think that statement is true?

    Want to know how to secure your Wireles network without needing to crack it?

    Use WPA2 AES with a strong passphrase. There now you know, and you don't need to be bothered with learning to crack it.
    Hi hyakutake , as theoleek said its a very good idea to start reading up on the forums here and even though you have posted in the newbie section we happen to have a lot of professional people here who dont take lightly to people asking to be spoonfed . If you really want to learn you could read a few books on wireles networking and try and understand the working of wireless networks and why they are weak . you could also watch exploitz videos on various topics which should help and make things very easy.

  5. #5
    Junior Member mRM3e's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I was in the same boat about 2 months ago. Research research research! start with:

    -nmap
    -ettercap
    -hydra
    -john
    -aircrack-ng
    -rainbow crack
    -metasploit

    Find tutorials and try to understand what you are doing, that should keep you busy.

    Setup your own labs and testing environment, DO NOT use these tools where permission is not given.
    I feel sorry for them - those who take authority as the truth and not truth as the authority -- Zeitgeist

  6. #6
    Junior Member Amlord1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mRM3e View Post
    I was in the same boat about 2 months ago. Research research research! start with:

    -nmap
    -ettercap
    -hydra
    -john
    -aircrack-ng
    -rainbow crack
    -metasploit

    Find tutorials and try to understand what you are doing, that should keep you busy.

    Setup your own labs and testing environment, DO NOT use these tools where permission is not given.
    Well put, But as Streaker69 said, How many of those things you said were true?

    If you want to be taken seriously around here, try using some proper grammar CONSISTENTLY. Personally, one thing that bothers me more than improper grammar and punctuation, is INCONSISTENCY. Even not using capitals doesn't bother me as long as there is punctuation, and capitalization (or lack thereof) is consistent.

    And Please, do your homework before asking for spoon-feeding. Especially about sensitive subjects such as cracking wireless "security".
    Originally Posted by pureh@te
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

  7. #7
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amlord1 View Post
    If you want to be taken seriously around here, try using some proper grammar CONSISTENTLY.

    English isnt a native language in every country of the world

  8. #8
    otacon122
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I'm just curious as to why many seem to think that statement is true?

    Want to know how to secure your Wireles network without needing to crack it?

    Use WPA2 AES with a strong passphrase. There now you know, and you don't need to be bothered with learning to crack it.
    This is NOT all it takes to secure a wireless connection, you dimwit. Knock it off with the attitude and give people some real help or keep your mouth shut altogether.

    In addition to WPA2 AES with a strong passphrase, you need MAC address filtering, you need to disable the SSID broadcast, and if at all possible, use FakeAP to throw out a list of fake APs while the real one remains hidden. Other things you need to do are use penetration testing to find out what ports you need to shut down (it is recommended that you set the firewall to ignore any unsolicited inbound traffic unless an outbound connection is established first), you need to disable the firewall's ability to respond to PING commands, and you need to test the firewall's vulnerability to ARP and DNS poison attacks as well as ICMP redirect attacks.

  9. #9
    Junior Member Amlord1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    78

    Default

    I realize that, but basic grammer is universal.


    *edit*

    There are a lot of people on here that simply, and obviously don't care.
    Originally Posted by pureh@te
    You may think its stupid but when you are posting online sometimes spelling, grammar and thought put into the content of your posts is the only thing people have to measure you by and to determine the level of seriousness they should give you. So with that in mind I'd say "Yes" its pretty important.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amlord1 View Post
    I realize that, but basic grammer is universal.
    *edit*
    There are a lot of people on here that simply, and obviously don't care.
    i agree that people just write something quick to get the magic button to hack the world, but some of them cant speak/write proper English and its not their fault.

    and its basic grammar, with an a

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •