Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backtrack 3 + MacBook 5,1 = No Boot? wtf

Just burned his ISO

Default Backtrack 3 + MacBook 5,1 = No Boot? wtf

Hey guys,

I have been a fan of Backtrack for a long time now. I used it to show the schools I work for how weak WEP really is. But I have ran into a new issue that I cannot seem to solve.

I have a MacBook 5,1 (Late 2008, Aluminum) that I like to use. I have Ubuntu and OS X on it. Recently, I decided to try my luck at BT3 with my Macbook. But, each time I boot I get this:

Code:
    Fatal error occured - BT3 data not found.
    You are maybe using an unsupported boot device (eg. SCSI or old PCMCIA).
    Work around: Copy the directory BT3 from your boot device to an IDE/SATA disk eg. to /mnt/hda1/BT3 or C:\BT3. Then try to boot again.
    *Looks like they spelled occurred wrong?*

Anyway, I do have reFIT installed and I am able to boot into Ubuntu just fine. Any solution for this would be awesome. Thanks for the help in advance.

Vmware is the best bet.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Just burned his ISO

I would also like to find a solution to this...

How is the lilo.conf?
    i have a macbook as well not the late 08 one, but i had problems with the lilo.conf
    i had to reisntall the BT3 and set lilo to proper place wich is not from standard
    Anyway i triboot my macbook with rEFIt as well and at 1st time i had to format all the HDD becouse i was not able to run permision test on the mac partition...
    so there is to points to consider... the lilo.conf and the rEFIt partition
    Sorry for my howefull english phrase construction.

Just burned his ISO

Hey guys, this is my first post. I just recently purchased a late 08 mac myself. I had been having a ton of problems until I found this thread a moment ago. I plan on completing my install when I get home this afternoon.

I just wanted to say thanks for the help! I plan on contributing a lot my self.

Just burned his ISO

Did we ever really get any real resolution on this? I downloaded the VM ware version, but I really don't know to much about it. I've already partioned my drive and synced the MBR with the GPT. I get as far as right before it loads and I get the same "Fatal Error Occure - BT3 data not found." Its killing me. I've got it working on my PC desktop, but one of the primary reasons that I got a laptop was for this. And graphic design, before someone flames me lol.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry for being a super noob

The new Intel Macs aren't just pc's running Mac OS. Your linux distribution has to be made to work on a computer that doesn't have a MBR, or bios to talk to the hardware. Refit is the shim that gets between some linux distributions and the hardware, but it's buggy, and doesn't work half the time. Maybe there will be better support in BT4, but I wouldn't really hold my breath. Like I said before, vmware is the best bet, though it's not free on the macs, fusion rocks. I've had six different vm's running on my desktop at work at once.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Like I said before, vmware is the best bet, though it's not free on the macs, fusion rocks. I've had six different vm's running on my desktop at work at once.
    I second that motion, Fusion works great and it is a pure pleasure to run a few OS's using Spaces even on a MacBook.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Just burned his ISO

I'm in complete agreement at this point. I just seem to be having a difficult time setting up my hardware in monitor mode and what not.

lol, I'll just start on usin the search button.

Just burned his ISO

Hey guys, just when you thought I had finally given up.

After searching for quite some time now, not sleeping and drinking a lot of caffine I figured out just how to book this bugger.

I had read somewhere that this problem has been on other laptops as well. One person actually got it to work by installin BT to an external hard drive. I slapped one on a DVD and another on a Flash drive, inserted them both.....and it booted like a charm =) I haven't installed it yet so I'm not sure how functional it is.....but it seems as though everything is working fine so far!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast