Thread: Just the same old N00b questions...

Just burned his ISO

Default Just the same old N00b questions...

Holy *hit! All I wanted to do was ask a simple couple of questions. Isn't the point of the forum to just ASK someone instead of having to sift through the entire internet?!?!
    If the above didn't put you off, maybe you know:

- How I can make my HDD cleanly unmount when I shut the computer down, instead of having BT3 have to check it and reboot every time I turn it back on?

- How I can change the resolution of the X Window environment? Startx will only bring it up if I use the fbdev xorg.conf, and then only at 1024 x 700something resolution.

Other than that, I have the installation running fine and already cracked my own WEP key, which surprised me; I figured my built-in Atheros on my laptop wouldn't even be supported . Any help from the GODS would be GREATLY appreciated. **Sl1mJ1m bows and waves hands with a flourish**

I agree in part with you - it is annoying to be chastised and patronised when asking for help on the forum but did you try the search feature before you posted?

I always try to make an effort to search for the information I need but it seems that even the moderators don't seem to understand that noob posters can only post in the noob forums because of the forum settings - if access were less restricted then perhaps we would post in the relevant threads for clarification - but we can't - so we post new threads in the noob section.

Regardless, I'm still waiting for help on my trapeze vlan and karmetasploit questions.
    Getting Airpwn to work is ruining my life

Quote Originally Posted by Sl1mJ1m View Post
    - How I can make my HDD cleanly unmount when I shut the computer down, instead of having BT3 have to check it and reboot every time I turn it back on?
    Are you using ext2 or ext3 for your filesystem? Which message do you get while shutting down?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by relaxis View Post
    I agree in part with you - it is annoying to be chastised and patronised when asking for help on the forum but did you try the search feature before you posted?....

Yeah, it must be especially annoying considering his extremely poor attitude and obvious lack of motivation to help himself....

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Holy *hit! All I wanted to do was ask a simple couple of questions. Isn't the point of the forum to just ASK someone instead of having to sift through the entire internet?!?!
    If the above didn't put you off, maybe you know:
    Starting a thread with a topic like this really doesn't motivate people to help you out when it is so blatantly obvious that you are too lazy to take the time to even perform a fast search first. The point of a support forum is indeed to provide support to members in need of help, however it is rather pointless to have the same old questions answered time and time again when the solution already can be easily found, don't you agree?
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by relaxis View Post
    I agree in part with you - it is annoying to be chastised and patronised when asking for help on the forum but did you try the search feature before you posted?

I always try to make an effort to search for the information I need but it seems that even the moderators don't seem to understand that noob posters can only post in the noob forums because of the forum settings - if access were less restricted then perhaps we would post in the relevant threads for clarification - but we can't - so we post new threads in the noob section.

Regardless, I'm still waiting for help on my trapeze vlan and karmetasploit questions.
    I completely understand the problem of only being able to post in the n00b area however thats the forum rules and I have to abide by them. You can ask anyone here that I fix links for new posters all the time and if you PM me with a request to move or delete a post I will almost always comply as long as no rules are being broken. Work with me and Ill work with you.

Isn't the point of the forum to just ASK someone instead of having to sift through the entire internet?!?!
    Why should we have to answer the same damn question ten billion times when simple search would give you the answer?
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    I completely understand the problem of only being able to post in the n00b area however thats the forum rules and I have to abide by them. You can ask anyone here that I fix links for new posters all the time and if you PM me with a request to move or delete a post I will almost always comply as long as no rules are being broken. Work with me and Ill work with you.
    Apologies.
    Getting Airpwn to work is ruining my life

No. The point of the forum is to get answer to questions that others haven't encountered and to provide a centralized location in which people can look for existing answers to their issues (which others have already inquired about and gotten answers).

No one here owes you anything. Least of all answers to questions that have been asked and answered previously, likely multiple times. (Everyone here volunteers their time/expertise (incl. the people that produce/maintain the distro) ... if you were paying for some sort of service or product then it might be different.)

If you're not even interested in finding an answer for yourself by searching why would you expect someone here to be interested in wasting their time to give it to you?

(Perhaps your issue is unique, you actually did search and couldn't find an answer, etc. but if that's the case you totally started of the wrong way).

If you post "Just the same old N00b questions..." then you should fully expect to get the same old you're a n00b answer(s).
    I'm a compulsive post editor, you might wanna wait until my post has been online for 5-10 mins before quoting it as it will likely change.

I know I seem harsh in some of my replies. SORRY! But if you're doing something illegal or posting something that seems to be obvious BS I'm going to call you on it.