Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: passCracking@home

Just burned his ISO

Default passCracking@home

Hi all,

Well I've been using BT for a good few months now and guessed it was about time to register on the forum.

Some of you may well have heard of the Folding@home and SETI@home project etc... Well today I was thinking, what about a distributed password cracking service? For those of us who have CPU power to spare (or even Nvidia GPU in some cases), why not contribute to a distributed network that we can all use to speed up brute forcing passwords? I thought it could work on a credit-based idea (so e.g. for every hour you contribute to the service, you are allowed to use the service when you want to crack a password).

The idea came to me when I saw how you can rent time on supercomputers at a few thousand pounds per day just to crack passwords. I was talking to some guys in my Cisco class, and they seemed to think it would be feasible - provided there was a good way of coordinating who-cracks-what.

So, I just wondered if anyone else out there thinks this idea could work at all?

(P.s. perhaps if this thread is worthy, it could be moved from the newbie area. I just wanted to post this idea asap, hence didn't want to wait for the 3 day newb rule :P)

Bearing in mind this is a very professional, legit legal forum... do you really think this thread will go down well with the staff?....really?
    wtf?

Even with the current population of the seti@home clients, it could take years and years to brute force a good wpa2 pass.

I say could, cause sometimes you win the lotto.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Distributed GPU computing has already been developed. Research that. It's much more effecient.

Quote Originally Posted by theberries View Post
    Distributed GPU computing has already been developed. Research that. It's much more effecient.
    It will still take years. Unless you were talking to the OP.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    It will still take years. Unless you were talking to the OP.
    My apologies, Barry, I was responding to the OP.

Surely this is the principle behind botnets?

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by relaxis View Post
    Surely this is the principle behind botnets?
    Surely it isn't. The botnets that are out there aren't not doing distributed computing, but are under the C&C of criminals to send spam, distribute malware and recently conduct bruteforce attacks against SSH servers.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Sorry, I meant to suggest that a botnet could be manipulated to use distributed computing for cracking - but then again, I don't know enough about anything to make a statement as such. Just firing shots in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Surely it isn't. The botnets that are out there aren't not doing distributed computing, but are under the C&C of criminals to send spam, distribute malware and recently conduct bruteforce attacks against SSH servers.
    Soooo......they are?!

"The goal of every man should be to continue living even after he can no longer draw breath."

~ShadowKill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast