Thread: Running Win32 programs under Linux

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Default Running Win32 programs under Linux

I've switched over to Linux completely but unfortunately there's one Win32 program that I still need to use (it's Protel99 SE, it's what I used in college for designing electronic circuits).

What's the best way of using virtualisation software (such as VMware) to run Win32 programs? Can anyone suggest good virtualisation software, and also a good image of MSWindows to use? (I have bought a license for all versions of MSWindows so don't worry about piracy).

I have MSWindows XP already installed on a separate partition on my hard disk, is there any way I can run it in a virtualisation box of some sort?

Also it would be good to be able to test my Internet Prober program under Windows without having to reboot.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Developer

I personally like vmware server because its free and has all the features I need except it doesn't support drag -n- drop in between the host and the guest however I just use ftp or scp to transfer any files back and forth or you can always create a net file share. Vmware workstation I believe has all the percs but is not free.There are lots of people that also swear by virtual box. I tried it but networking was a real pain to set up on my gentoo box so I gave it up and went back to vmware. I also like vmware because it has the option to start selected virtual machines when the host boots up, that way they are all booted when I need them.

Another thing to try is to see if whatever it is will run under wine or mono.

I have MSWindows XP already installed on a separate partition on my hard disk, is there any way I can run it in a virtualisation box of some sort?
    At least in VMWare fusion (osx kind), it allows you to run a VM using the windows installation that's installed on the separate partition. In other words, you can boot up the windows partition you have installed with VMWare. Pretty convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by pureh@te View Post
    There are lots of people that also swear by virtual box. I tried it but networking was a real pain to set up on my gentoo box so I gave it up and went back to vmware.
    I never really had a problem like this with VirtualBox and I've set it up on many different computers, all running Ubuntu. I've had about the same experience with it as it seems you have with vmware server.

And as far as mirroring another partition I think the only way to do that is with VMWare Fusion or another paid for program.
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    VMWare makes a program called vCenter Converter. It's made to convert physical windows machines to virtual machines. I've used it a few times, works pretty good. It will even convert a running windows machine over the network as long as you have admin rights to the machine.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Good friend of the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Virchanza View Post
    I've switched over to Linux completely but unfortunately there's one Win32 program that I still need to use (it's Protel99 SE, it's what I used in college for designing electronic circuits).

What's the best way of using virtualisation software (such as VMware) to run Win32 programs? Can anyone suggest good virtualisation software, and also a good image of MSWindows to use? (I have bought a license for all versions of MSWindows so don't worry about piracy).

Also it would be good to be able to test my Internet Prober program under Windows without having to reboot.
    You could try to run your program using wine. Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X, OpenGL, and Unix. BT comes with a very old version of wine. Goto www.winehq.org. Download and install the latest stable version (atm 1.0.1). Running wine is usually as easy as wine /path/to/exe. If the stable doesn't work try the latest devel version 1.1.10. There is even a precompiled version for slackware.
    I like the bleeding edge, but I don't like blood loss