Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help - Please - Important

Just burned his ISO

Default Need help - Please - Important

Right now I am in a classroom (for IT related stuff), and someone here has managed to lock themselves out of their Windows Server 2003 Machine.

I just tried booting from my BT3 CD, and I was going to replace utilman.exe with cmd.exe to try to get into command prompt that way to get in and change the password to something that we know, however for whatever reason I am only able to access that hard drive as read only.

I have two questions for you guys and I really need your help, because even the instructor is getting a little frustrated because he doesn't have any of his "tools" with him today.

(1) How can I access this hard drive with read and write permissions in BT3?
    (2) What is the best way to reset the password, or give me admin access to command prompt like what I wrote above would hopefully do?

All I need to do is:
    Code:
    C:\> net user Administrator P@ssw0rd
    Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Reinstall is the easiest way.
    Of course, if you really wanted to have some fun, go to Wal-Mart late at night and ask the greeter if they could help you find trashbags, roll of carpet, rope, quicklime, clorox and a shovel. See if they give you any strange looks. --Streaker69

Virginville, BlueBall, Bird In Hand, Intercourse, Paradise, PA

Quote Originally Posted by purxaoc View Post
    Right now I am in a classroom (for IT related stuff), and someone here has managed to lock themselves out of their Windows Server 2003 Machine.

I just tried booting from my BT3 CD, and I was going to replace utilman.exe with cmd.exe to try to get into command prompt that way to get in and change the password to something that we know, however for whatever reason I am only able to access that hard drive as read only.

I have two questions for you guys and I really need your help, because even the instructor is getting a little frustrated because he doesn't have any of his "tools" with him today.

(1) How can I access this hard drive with read and write permissions in BT3?
    (2) What is the best way to reset the password, or give me admin access to command prompt like what I wrote above would hopefully do?

All I need to do is:
    Code:
    C:\> net user Administrator P@ssw0rd
    Any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you!
    Contact the IT department of the school you're at and have them do it.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Reinstall is the easiest way.
    You're hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Contact the IT department of the school you're at and have them do it.
    There is no IT department here. Why can't you just help me out?

How can I take ownership of the hard drive?

You're hilarious.

How can I take ownership of the hard drive?
    Because we don't trust people coming here with some random story. Just have a look through the corner for reference.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

You're hilarious.

Barry's solution is the best one, if the server is that important that you cannot re-install it, then I suggest you contact a competent IT consulting firm and have them come in and resolve it for you. You messing around with something that you clearly don't understand on a production machine could only lead to trouble.

Taking ownership of the drive on a machine that you cannot just re-install is bound to lead to real issues.
    A third party security audit is the IT equivalent of a colonoscopy. It's long, intrusive, very uncomfortable, and when it's done, you'll have seen things you really didn't want to see, and you'll never forget that you've had one.

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Because we don't trust people coming here with some random story. Just have a look through the corner for reference.
    I don't blame you for not trusting people who just come and go, but I'm asking a simple question. I have no illegal interest here, both the instructor, and the user of the computer, are present and asking me to fix this problem.

Can you just tell me how to write to the volume? We don't want to have to re-image the machine, or spend time "cracking" the password.

I don't blame you for not trusting people who just come and go, but I'm asking a simple question. I have no illegal interest here, both the instructor, and the user of the computer, are present and asking me to fix this problem.

Can you just tell me how to write to the volume? We don't want to have to re-image the machine, or spend time "cracking" the password.
    Oh well, if the instructor is there, then that makes all the difference in the world.

All you need to do is .....<transmission terminated>

Developer

Ha! A school where the instructor for IT cant even reset a server 2003 password. I would get my money back immediately and sign up for offsec 101.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Oh well, if the instructor is there, then that makes all the difference in the world.

All you need to do is .....<transmission terminated>
    Damn you make me laugh..
    EDIT: nice finish on page 2 ^.^

Oh if the "instructor" is there he should know exactly what to do...
    Jesse -- NOM NOM NOM ^.^

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast