Thread: Problems with Tor and Privoxy....

Just burned his ISO

Angry Problems with Tor and Privoxy....

Hello, I'm trying to get Tor and Privoxy working on BT3 and I'm having a hell of a time. I'm at the point of wanting to throw the f*cking computer out the window!!!!!!!!!!! I've used Tor many times before with NO PROBLEMS. For some reason, when i installed Tor and Privoxy this time and setup torbutton in firefox, it's not working! I get a 503 error EVERYTIME. This is the error message it shows me when Tor is enabled....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is Privoxy 3.0.8 on localhost (127.0.0.1), port 8118, enabled
    Forwarding failure

Privoxy was unable to socks4a-forward your request
    hxxps : / / check . torproject . org : 443 / through localhost:
    SOCKS4 negotiation read failed.

Just try again to see if this is a temporary problem, or check your forwarding settings and make sure that all forwarding servers are working correctly and listening where they are supposed to be listening.
    I've updated/reinstalled/restarted and all that shit several times and no luck. i even tried installing it on windowz and it gave me the same error. My Privoxy config file gives the following commands...
    forward-socks4a / localhost:9050 .
    user-manual /usr/local/share/doc/privoxy/user-manual/
    trust-info-url hxxp : / / www . example . com/why_we_block . html
    trust-info-url hxxp : / / www . example . com/what_we_allow . html
    confdir /usr/local/etc/privoxy
    logdir /var/log/privoxy
    actionsfile standard.action
    actionsfile default.action
    actionsfile user.action
    filterfile default.filter
    listen-address 127.0.0.1:8118
    toggle 1
    enable-remote-toggle 0
    enable-remote-http-toggle 0
    enable-edit-actions 0
    enforce-blocks 0
    buffer-limit 4096
    forwarded-connect-retries 0
    accept-intercepted-requests 0
    allow-cgi-request-crunching 0
    split-large-forms 0
    As far as I know, all my config files are correct. I didn't want to copy and paste my entire torrc and .actions files on here, but if anyone needs to see them, I will. Can anyone please help me with this before i smash my computer and flush it down the toilet? thanks

tor worked great on winblows with me, but when i installed tor with privoxy it would crash winblows every time i booted up :/ maybe those to conflict with each other? i dont know.
    But if its happen to you on BT3 and with me on winblows, maybe its got somethign to do with the 2 programs running together?
    Jesse -- NOM NOM NOM ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by antichrist View Post
    tor worked great on winblows with me, but when i installed tor with privoxy it would crash winblows every time i booted up :/ maybe those to conflict with each other? i dont know.
    But if its happen to you on BT3 and with me on winblows, maybe its got somethign to do with the 2 programs running together?
    Tor and Privoxy are designed to complement each other and work together. I have used them together on many an occasion and never experienced any problems.

Take a look at this post as it might be helpful to the OP.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

oh ok, maybe it was something that was floating around on my network at the time.
    Jesse -- NOM NOM NOM ^.^

Just burned his ISO

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Tor and Privoxy are designed to complement each other and work together. I have used them together on many an occasion and never experienced any problems.

Take a look at this post as it might be helpful to the OP.
    I downloaded those tgz's and ran installpkg for them both. added torbutton, now, when tor is enabled instead of getting the 503 error page, i get a completely BLANK page except for "Try again". so its still not working.... btw, i went into a shell and started tor with "tor" and started privoxy with "privoxy /usr/local/etc/privoxy/config.new" when i tried to start privoxy with just "privoxy" it gives me the following error:
    -----------------------------------
    bt ~ # privoxy
    Dec 08 01:29:26.869 Privoxy(b7d966c0) Info: Privoxy version 3.0.8
    Dec 08 01:29:26.869 Privoxy(b7d966c0) Info: Program name: privoxy
    Dec 08 01:29:26.870 Privoxy(b7d966c0) Fatal error: can't check configuration file '/root/config': No such file or directory
    -----------------------------------

any more suggestions? id really like to get this working. ive never had this problem with tor...

Then you either should point privoxy to the right config file or create one in your /root directory.

The error message is pretty much saying what the problem is.
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

Quote Originally Posted by KMDave View Post
    Then you either should point privoxy to the right config file or create one in your /root directory.

The error message is pretty much saying what the problem is.
    i understand that part. as u can see in my previous post, i DID point it to a config file, and as far as i could tell the config file was fine. however, its still not working

Did you try to copy it over?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Just burned his ISO

yup, tried copying it to the /root folder but still no-go. can someone post a copy of their working privoxy config file? or atleast just the important lines?

I'm not familiar with Tor but I do use Privoxy under Windows and Ubuntu, Slackware may be different but I doubt there is much of a difference.

Your later problems are probably because you are trying to run it directly as root and it cannot find the files it needs. Normally it runs under it's own non-privileged uid/gid and is controlled by the usual boot script, /etc/init.d/privoxy under Ubuntu. My guess would be /etc/rc.d/rc.privoxy under Slackware. I assume tor is much the same.

Try invoking the scripts with the appropriate parameter to start them.

As for your original problem, try replacing localhost in the forward-socks4a statement with the ip address. I've encountered this problem in the past where software doesn't understand localhost but works fine with 127.0.0.1 instead.
    First Rule of Holes: When you're in one - Stop Digging!