Thread: compiling a new kernel

Just burned his ISO

Exclamation compiling a new kernel

Ok...I have the broadcom 4311 Mini-PCI card on a compaq Presario F500...I'm just trying to get injection working on it (frankly, because I don't have the cash to drop on a new card that will actually work)...and I've tried everything I can find on the forums, on the net, through Google, etc...and I get nothing...so I've resigned to trying the b43 / b43 legacy drivers on a newer kernel, however, I'm having extreme difficulty trying to compile a new kernel using the config file from this kernel in BT3 Final, nor from a scratch kernel. Can anyone give me any pointers on where/how to start this process? Or am I just shooting in the dark again? Thanks all.

Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Decision View Post
    Ok...I have the broadcom 4311 Mini-PCI card on a compaq Presario F500...I'm just trying to get injection working on it (frankly, because I don't have the cash to drop on a new card that will actually work)...and I've tried everything I can find on the forums, on the net, through Google, etc...and I get nothing...so I've resigned to trying the b43 / b43 legacy drivers on a newer kernel, however, I'm having extreme difficulty trying to compile a new kernel using the config file from this kernel in BT3 Final, nor from a scratch kernel. Can anyone give me any pointers on where/how to start this process? Or am I just shooting in the dark again? Thanks all.
    Well the problem is that compiling a kernel is specific to your machine. Its really not that hard if you use some commonsense. The comands you should run while having the lived cd booted are lspci, dmesg and lsmod. These will give you a idea of all the stuff thats loaded in your system at the time. Also if when compiling the kernel you use make menuconfig instead of that stupid X one, you can hit "h" on any entry and get some help or explanation on it. Just be sure to always keep a lilo entry for your stock kernel so when the new kernel doesn't boot you can boot the old one and fix it. No ones first kernel ever boots.

Just burned his ISO

Heh...yeah, I know about the lilo config and first kernel thing...been there TOO MANY TIMES. Yeesh...don't want to go there again...well the truth is, I've got BT3 final on my HD, and I do use make menuconfig, however, I didn't know about the "h" command for help (of course, I'm willing to bet that if I read just a little more into it......), nonetheless, using lspci, dmesg, and lsmod will help me a lot in building a custom kernel for my machine. I'm just wondering if the b43 drivers will actually work once I get it finally finished and loaded. BTW, Pureh@te, you rock bro. Thanks for all your help!

-D

Developer

Heh...yeah, I know about the lilo config and first kernel thing...been there TOO MANY TIMES. Yeesh...don't want to go there again...well the truth is, I've got BT3 final on my HD, and I do use make menuconfig, however, I didn't know about the "h" command for help (of course, I'm willing to bet that if I read just a little more into it......), nonetheless, using lspci, dmesg, and lsmod will help me a lot in building a custom kernel for my machine. I'm just wondering if the b43 drivers will actually work once I get it finally finished and loaded. BTW, Pureh@te, you rock bro. Thanks for all your help!

-D
    I cant help you on the b43 drivers because I don't have them however I believe there is documentation on them on the aircrack forums. I'm assuming you want it to inject so I ran a quick search and found this...

http://shaolininteger.blogspot.com/2...th-kernel.html
    http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=58731
    http://tinyshell.be/aircrackng/forum...p?topic=3597.0
    http://my.opera.com/georgewu/blog/20...nux-2-6-28-rc3

The 4th link is updated pathes for the 2.6.28 kernel but the author says they are untested.
    the first link goes for ubuntu but I'm amusing if you use the kernel they mention and the 2 patches you should be good to go.
    Every thing I've read so far says that with the 2 patches you should be able to inject.

Just burned his ISO

I am having so many problems trying to get the stinkin thing built, it fails on my everytime at something called xt_DSCP.c ...unfortunately, I don't know enough about kernel hacking (read: anything at all) to make that work past that...it's like what a friend of mine told me when we were discussing this whole Broadcom issue...he said: "You must hate your life right now." Yeah...I certainly do. LOL. Thanks for the info Pure...I'll keep doing something, somehow...

Just burned his ISO

Well, I found the actual drivers from Broadcom, wl.ko, I'm going to see if these will actually do any injection on my network...figure if I can knock my wife's laptop off the wireless and then grab the auth packet, then I'll be good to go...should be interesting...wish me luck.

Developer

Are you starting from a fresh build or are you trying to use the bt3 .config?
    You should really start fresh with a vanilla kernel and get it booting with the bare minimum of stuff and the add things one section at a time. Plus in your situation you should be creating a error log for debugging. When I start from scratch I get it booting then work on sound, then networking, then drivers, and so on... much easier to know WTF went wrong that way.

Well, I found the actual drivers from Broadcom, wl.ko, I'm going to see if these will actually do any injection on my network...figure if I can knock my wife's laptop off the wireless and then grab the auth packet, then I'll be good to go...should be interesting...wish me luck.
    i have tried those drivers. You can only connect to the wireless network normally but cannot inject. It gives some kind of error i dont remember right now. I have broadcom 4311 (rev02) and have tried the new ubuntu 8.10 and to my surprise i was able to inject using b43 drivers selected with 100% injection rate.
    :cool:" i had rather be hated for wat i am than to be loved for wat i am not ......":p