Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to hide MAC address when connecting to a network?

Just burned his ISO

Default How to hide MAC address when connecting to a network?

Hi,

I apologize if this question oozes of n00b but I can't seem to figure it out. I took a look around and I couldn't find the answer to it, so perhaps this may get me what I'm looking for.

I know how to fake my MAC with the macchanger command but when I do that and then try to connect to a network (specifically my WPA2 network) it won't allow me to do so, but if my MAC isn't faked, it connects just fine. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Is the MAC filter enabled on your AP?
    Tiocfaidh ár lá

Quote Originally Posted by Cosaint View Post
    I know how to fake my MAC with the macchanger command but when I do that and then try to connect to a network (specifically my WPA2 network) it won't allow me to do so, but if my MAC isn't faked, it connects just fine. Any thoughts? Thanks,
    As KMDave says this is probably due to the fact that you have MAC filtering enabled on your AP. Some APs also seem to neglect requests from devices using commonly faked MACs, 00:11:22:33:44:55 for example, so you might want to try using another one instead.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Very good friend of the forum Virchanza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by =Tron= View Post
    Some APs also seem to neglect requests from devices using commonly faked MACs, 00:11:22:33:44:55 for example, so you might want to try using another one instead.
    What are you talking about, that's my exact MAC.................... fact.

Ask questions on the open forums, that way everybody benefits from the solution, and everybody can be corrected when they make mistakes. Don't send me private messages asking questions that should be asked on the open forums, I won't respond. I decline all "Friend Requests".

When you try it without faking the mac, do you destroy your extensions, then restart them.....

When you use macchanger, all wireless extensions must be destroyed otherwise you get an error. the problem may be when you restart your extension to your card. What method do you use?

Just burned his ISO

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick response. No, my AP (Airport Extreme) does not have MAC filtering enabled but I will try out a different MAC address and post what sort of results I get tonight. Thanks.

So, I tried out using a random MAC (24:46:35:32:12:54) and I got the same result. Any ideas about what might be causing this? Thanks.

some access points (not airport extreme, someones pullin your leg) only allow VALID random MAC's. so the first 3 octets will have to belong to someone. use the -a switch after macchanger, then your wifi adapter to generate a valid random MAC!

eg

macchanger -a eth1
    BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!!!

Just burned his ISO

Hey again,

Well, I tried what you suggested etech9 but unfortunately, it didn't work. I faked my MAC with a valid one but it's still doing the same thing. I connect fine when I'm using my real MAC but when I change it when i try the "dhcpcd -nd <adapter>" command it doesn't give me the expected result. In fact, it doesn't seem to do anything. It just sends me to an empty prompt. So, in effort to figure this out, I did a "iwconfig <adapter>" on my connection and I found that it seemed to be connected to the WAP but I still couldn't get an IP and access the internet.

Code:
    RT73 WLAN ESSID:"MYESSID"
    Mode:Monitor Frequency=2.457 GHz Bit Rate=54 Mb/s
    RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
    Encryption key: <long string>
    Link Quality=73/100 Signal level:-52 dBm Noise level:-143 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx exessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
    Hope this helps diagnose this problem.

Just burned his ISO

I tried a different method of changing my MAC, namely this command:

Code:
    ifconfig <adapter> hw ether <faked MAC>
    But unfortunately, it produced the same results.

From your iwconfig output it is evident that your device still is in monitor mode, which will not allow you to actually connect to an access point. Getting it out of monitor mode and into managed mode is the first step you will want to take.
    -Monkeys are like nature's humans.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast